update #1 222 pictures

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi Well I finaly made a deal on the #1 222 rem I kept thinking about it and decided to go for it so here are the pictures
1a222.jpg

1a222full.jpg

1a222serial.jpg

1a222sight.jpg

1a222rib.jpg

1a222rearstk.jpg

GRAMPS

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
It is going to be a wonderful fun gun to shoot.
The caliber stamp is not Factory. That is just my opinion from having owned a bunch of .222's.
The front sight is set back about the same distance as the early rifles, which were grooved for a hood.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I'd say it's an aftermarket barrel with the Ruger rib, barrel band and front sight added. It's a dandy rifle and I'd be happy to own and shoot it. Let us know how it performs.
I think you made the right choice.
Lance

picketpin

Buckeye
Gramps, boy am I glad you finally bought it!!!! I just bought two and another would have really stretched my budget. ;-)

As others have said the barrel is not factory. The factory caliber stamp is different and would not have the "High "R" out of line. The front sight is a bit too far back for a rifle in that serial number range. Much more reminiscent of the very earliest #1s. Of course the lack of roll mark on the barrel and the factory saying it left the plant as a 7x57 pretty much killed the original part of the equation.

The factory numbering is much more elongated like the serial number as opposed to the squarer version on the caliber of the rifle.

All that being said, it's a great little rifle and other than sights mine in 222 that looks just like it is one of my all time favorite walking around, under 200 yard varmint rifles. It's LOTS more fun than lugging around a 10 pound "V" in 22-250 or Swift.

Where ever you ended up price wise, you could NOT have purchased a $500 donor rifle and ended up where you are right now without a lot more money invested. So you did really well on a really fun and attractive rifle and should enjoy it for years.

Good job.

Ross

Hi I will be digging thru the gun room for a scope first thing in the AM cant wait I ended up trading a colt saa 357 that I had $150 invested in (long story) but traded even If it shoots good it will be my new varment gun :D

THANKS GRAMPS

picketpin

Buckeye
GRamps: I have a Leupold Min 2x7 MKII on the 222 AH and a Burris Mini 3x9 on the 223 AB. Both work great as walk around varmint scopes and neither requires offset rings.

Have fun

Ross

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Sweet rifle. I would rather have that than the brand new 22-250 Red Pad that I own. Mine is a B model and heavier and less handy than yours.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
The only No1s I still have are a 375 H & H and a 458 Win Mag. Every time I see something in a "normal" caliber I think "I've got to get one" - the 222 is one of my favorites.

picketpin

Buckeye
I've owned a LOT of #1s in the last 40 years or so.

I sold many over the years and bought others.
Two of my all time favorites amd two that will NEVER levae are the Non prefix 222 AH and the 223 AB. The are just wonderful walking around varmint, small game rifles and it would be hard to think of better ones.
They are just FUN!!!

I suspect this will be one Gramps will keep for years and pass down as a pure shooter.

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
GRAMPS,

I have been hoping you would post pictures of your new rifle. It looks very nicely done, and to top it all off, a 222 remington chambering; what could be finer?..... :D

The front barrel band sight set back reminds me of the early No.1's, a bit of nostalgia we all seem to enjoy. I bet it will be ok, with the care for appearance taken, it would seem likely that a premium blank was used. A 222 seems to run forever, mild on the throat; I bet it will shoot where you look.

Guns like this are built a lot in my locality. No one seems to want to pay or has the appreciation for the collector aspect of the older original rifles; so guns are put together to mimic one they saw or read about or just some wildcat. A friend is putting one together in 17 Bumblebee. A doner No.1A or No.1S and about $200($150 for the Shilen, and $50 or so for the front sight) will put one together for those that can apply themselves. A bit of work in the labor aspects, but to some; it is the only way they can have such a rifle. Too funny a market for the originals, so they learned how to make them up for their own use.

Enjoy the rifle, it was built for shooting. Glad it all worked out.

By the way, thanks for showing it; very kind of you.

Hi I mounted a vari xxx 1.5-5 compact this was my favorite scope for years well there is not enough adjustment for my old eyes I had to pull it off and put on a vari xx AO 4-12 that works fine I got that all set cleaned the bore and checked the twist 1 in 16 I have never seen a 222 with a twist that slow so I got out some reloads and none will chamber finally found some 40 year old remington factory 50 gr pointed soft points and shot a few 1 1/4 groups at 100 yds so im happy Im a little rusty punching paper I will start playing with some loads soon and post results
THANKS for all the response

GRAMPS

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
If it really is 1:16, which does seem strange, then you'll probably have the best luck with bullets in the 40-50 gr range. Try some 40 gr Nosler BT if you get a chance. They work very well in my smaller 22 caliber rifles.