Unusual words

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
bifurcated

That was a word I got introduced to when I started working around grain elevators. At the time, there were few hopper cars (rail cars) so boxcars were pressed into service. The discharge spout was "bifurcated" to send a stream two directions toward the ends of a boxcar.

Bob Wright

turd

Buckeye
That was a word I got introduced to when I started working around grain elevators. At the time, there were few hopper cars (rail cars) so boxcars were pressed into service. The discharge spout was "bifurcated" to send a stream two directions toward the ends of a boxcar.

Bob Wright
I learned it in reference to roads that were separated due to topography or designer's intent...

Ride1949

Blackhawk
i am a gude speler, i can spel antidisestablishmentarianism, jus don aske me to spel supercalifrag...???
1663218933336891848839271377432.jpg

KIR

Blackhawk
Although, I read the original Ian Fleming's books about James Bond in the 60's, it was not until the 90's that I realized what the word 'adjective' means and thereafter my writing improved. Fleming used numerous descriptive words, including brand names to make the reader feel like he was in the story.

dstegjas

Bearcat
Physicality

Although it is a word in the dictionary. I never heard anyone use it until a few years ago on Dancing with the stars one night. Yes, I use to watch that show. Now everyone is using it, football announcers, newscasters even on hunting shows. I guess it makes them sound like they know what they are talking about.

Well, I have to admit I just spent the last half hour on google looking up words. A lot of them I thought I knew, like bifurcated, referring, to me, as a spilt in a river, but now I know it is more than just that.

I can add obsequious

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
One word I don't get that is used all the time , and I have no idea where it came from.

Aks , as in " I aks him a question ".

To tell the truth , I don't even know if I'm am spelling it right.
That's from a minority group who seemingly can't pronounce "ask". I always spell it axe.

Anyhow, my word for this whole thread is obfuscation.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
I knew SNAFU but until I read Rogue Warrior I had never heard of TARFU, FUBAR, and BOHICA. My world was instantly changed. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::devilish: