Unusual for this area

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bookemdano

Bearcat
A friend of mine took this pic on a 300 acre tract of forest land that he and several others lease to
hunt on. As long as it stays in this area it'll be safe from 2 legged predators at least. None of these
guys would dream of shooting it. Fawns are scarce this year for some reason. Where I usually have
10 to 15 on my property by this time, I've only seen one. That makes this little guy even more special.
Dano
Image000000

Ride1949

Single-Sixer
A friend of mine took this pic on a 300 acre tract of forest land that he and several others lease to
hunt on. As long as it stays in this area it'll be safe from 2 legged predators at least. None of these
guys would dream of shooting it. Fawns are scarce this year for some reason. Where I usually have
10 to 15 on my property by this time, I've only seen one. That makes this little guy even more special.
Dano
View attachment 3666
A Spirit deer. In over 50 years of deer hunting, I have never seen one. Cool photo .

bookemdano

Bearcat
A Spirit deer. In over 50 years of deer hunting, I have never seen one. Cool photo .
Several years ago, I had one on my property that was colored like a pinto horse.
She had fawn(s) every year but they were always brown. Disappeared when she
was around 6 or7 years old. It's a genetic aberration that doesn't breed true
that often but as you said, a Sprit Deer is a beautiful thing to see.
Dano

RRM

Single-Sixer
I've got a friend here and he and 2 prior generations of his family each have killed a piebald in the same area.

bookemdano

Bearcat
I've got a friend here and he and 2 prior generations of his family each have killed a piebald in the same area.
That's their choice, but I wouldn't shoot one unless my family was starving. Once it's dead,
that's it. No chance of passing the gene on and creating more beauty. Like I said, their choice
but I'd rather see it walking free and wild.
Dano

RRM

Single-Sixer
That's their choice, but I wouldn't shoot one unless my family was starving. Once it's dead,
that's it. No chance of passing the gene on and creating more beauty. Like I said, their choice
but I'd rather see it walking free and wild.
Dano

Sure--to each his own. Each of there's were bucks, and decent ones for here. Not sure what I'd do if I was presented with a shot on a really nice piebald buck. Personally, I'd never kill one just because it was a piebald. I'm long past mounting animals and just saying "I killed a piebald" means nothing to me. Greater interest to me was that trait had persisted in a smallish area for so long.

bookemdano

Bearcat
Sure--to each his own. Each of there's were bucks, and decent ones for here. Not sure what I'd do if I was presented with a shot on a really nice piebald buck. Personally, I'd never kill one just because it was a piebald. I'm long past mounting animals and just saying "I killed a piebald" means nothing to me. Greater interest to me was that trait had persisted in a smallish area for so long.
Yeh, I'm 73 and have hunted since I was 10. After Nam, I never could get the same excitement
over hunting that I had as a boy. All hunting means to me anymore is high protein, low fat, no
GMO meat for my family. For the past 10 years or so, I don't do much of that. I make food
plots each year with grasses, turnips and clover for the deer and have feeding stations where
I put out corn and other grains for the deer, turkey and other game birds, especially in the
cold winter months. Like this:

Outside my daughter's bedroom window in her little arbor she made.
IMG 0718

STC 0502

IMG 0925

bookemdano

Bearcat
Used to be, the wildlife managers wanted this aberration removed from the gene pool.

We've had a couple in the canyon south of me in Oregon City, but I've not seen them in 10 +/- years.
I know. Same here in Tennessee. I never understood it either. It's a recessive gene and doesn't
show up enough to endanger the species in any way. Politics: Political animals making decisions
about something they have no understanding of what-so-ever; is the only explanation I can
think of.
Dano

bookemdano

Bearcat
Ocassional reoccurences of recessive genes help keep the species diverse. You'd think F&W folks would know that now that everyone has a degree in some sort of ecology.
You and I both know a degree don't equal intelligence, only one's ability to regurgitate information
on a test. :D

RRM

Single-Sixer
Cool pics, OP. I'm just surprised a piebald fawn can make it in the wild. They really stick out.

bookemdano

Bearcat
The gene being recessive and the fact that they stand out like feces in the
punch bowl (to paraphrase my granddaddy) is why they're few and far between.
Thanks. Those pics were all taken within 50 yds of my house. I absolutely love
where I live. After I got my bachelor's, I had the opportunity to accept a job
in the Florida Keys. Pay and benefits were great, and they were going to pay
my moving expenses but I just couldn't leave my home in the woods. Been
here 55 years, my ashes will be here after I'm gone.
Dano

Mobuck

Hawkeye
"Fawns are scarce this year for some reason. Where I usually have
10 to 15 on my property by this time, I've only seen one. "
Do you have a predator control plan? If not, you'd better get started.

bookemdano

Bearcat
"Fawns are scarce this year for some reason. Where I usually have
10 to 15 on my property by this time, I've only seen one. "
Do you have a predator control plan? If not, you'd better get started.
Oh yeh, I and all the neighboring properties kill every coyote and wild hog we can. I have
2 cousins that actively hunt coyotes using calls. There's a county garbage dump about 1
mile from my property (thru the woods) where there's ample food for coyotes and hogs.
Every few weeks the local prison farm officers set up at night and shoot them. That and
us landowners keep the pig and coyote population down. Also, there's several thousand
acres of government forest land bordering our property where the can roam unmolested
except by the very few hunters that can get a permit to hunt there. That my friend is
our predator control plan and it works as well as any other I've run across.
Dano