Unusual .17 HRM Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
I'm a laid back sorta fella most of the time, and while I try to help folks out when I can, I don't usually expect too much from others. They have their own concerns, and I can generally take care of mine.

I enjoy visiting a few online discussion forum, and a friend and I even run one that it seems we've more or less "aquired". On these forums, I'll sometimes see where someone posted that they need or want some small item, and if I happen to have it, I'll usually send it to them.

I've given away once fired brass, a few sets of grips for various handguns; mostly just little stuff that I didn't figure I'd ever use again.

So, I didn't think much of it when I got a PM from a fellow forum member here a couple of months ago. The PM just said, "Hey, call me at this number. I want your thoughts on something" or something to that affect.

So, I called the man and we talked for a while. In the course of the discussion, he told me that he wanted to give me something, and then told me that something was a handgun. He had a Blued Single Six, minus the gripframe, and wanted me to have it.

I was more than a little shocked, and wasn't even sure what to say at that point, but a few days later I met this member in person. We met in Tucson, went down to the Game & Fish office to take care of a few things, and then had lunch at a place he recommended. Heck, he wouldn't even let me pay for lunch!

Then when we got ready to leave, he handed me this little Single Six, minus a gripframe, told me that he wanted me to have it, and asked if I would accept it? He also insisted on giving me a box of ammunition to go with it.

How could I possibly refuse, even though I was feeling more than a bit guilty at the time? Heck, I've been wondering for a while just how to tell this story here on the board, not knowing this guy's feelings on such things, and not wanting to embarass or offend his privacy. I've swapped a couple of PM's with him since then, but I know he told me he was going to be very busy, and I haven't seen him posting on the board in a while.

I'm hoping he's ok, and that he'll be around to read this, because I want him to know that I think very highly of his friendship. Guys like him are few and far between, and he's a man who holds my respect; not for the token of friendship that he gave me, but because of the man he is. The handgun is one that I'll keep, use, and cherrish.

Things have been pretty hectic in my life lately, and I've had to deal with some really miserable individuals of late. It's nice to know that there are still selfless people in the world who find joy in doing things for others. I only hope I can live up to this man's example. He definitely caused me to sit back and re-evaluate a few things.

One day before long, when things in my life settle down a bit (as well as in his), I'd really enjoy spending a few days fishing with him. I know he likes to fish, and so do I, so I might just have to make the time and go.

A fella on another board offered me a take-off Vaquero gripframe for the cost of shipping, so I took him up on it. I shoot a few original Vaqueros, and I like the feel of these frames about as good as any I've tried. The steel gripframe balances this little revolver very nicely, and it's still pretty light to carry and shoot.

Anyway, here it is. I'm pretty sure it was unfired at the time I recieved it, but that's not the case any more. I haven't shot it a lot, but enough to know it's accurate.

17HMR.jpg

steveinaz

Single-Sixer
Evey now and then a good person will come along and restore my faith in people. Nice story man.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
That is exceptionally nice.

I've been fortunate to make at least one very good, long-term friend from the forums (this one specifically), as well as a number of highly valued acquaintances. I've been gifted with a number of items, won a couple of karma-type giveaways, and absorbed untold amounts of knowledge. There are some really good people in the online shooting community.

-- Sam

ddd482

Single-Sixer
that is one of those guns you will never get rid of- to many fond memories! thanks for sharing!