Unique Vaquero with gold inlay and engraving

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gak

Buckeye
It's true that some configurations are not everyone's cup of tea and that narrows the field of interested onlookers or potential investors. What has been said here is particularly true of "special runs" done only for a particular vendor, with some exceptions. The same can be said for many engraved Colts, Commemoratives for this and that, doesnt mean there aren't still a lot out there who are interested, just perhaps not as vocal as the detractors. Sometimes you have to specialize your inquury to find the niche but which are still highly enthusiastic afficianados.

As has been said, whatever floats your boat. I have my preferences which usually don't include engraving, and especially gold, but there've been some executed particularly well and as I've gotten older I've grown more appreciative of others' embellished firearms--to the extent I've thought of having one of mine "done up." In fact, after having seen some stellar Colts done by a top Arizona engraver, it's on my firearms bucket list to have one of my Rugers done the same. Alas he'll only touch Colts, but I couldn't afford him anyway! But, I'd sure like to find someone similarly talented.

Nothing much else to add to the discussion but welcome!

vanhamlin

Bearcat
OK, got the Model # last night (model # 5139) dealer exclusive for a place called Jerry's Sports Center our of PA.
mine being #18 of 50 that were made.
Took a couple pics on my phone, but still can't figure out how to post them....any advise is appreciated.
Also my original question still hasn't been answered as to if anyone else has one of these or has even seen one, or what its approx. value would be.
BTW, got some really great information from SteelShooter, he really seems to know his stuff, and apparently has a crystal ball that I want one of. Thanks again SteelShooter

vanhamlin

Bearcat
BTW I really don't understand why Hunter is so adamant about the possibility that what I have stated as the information that I received from Ruger can't possibly be correct, and frankly don't appreciate the insinuation that I am a liar or an idiot, or that I'm trying too deceive someone, as it really is not that important to me the details of the gun, bottom line is I like it, and will likely keep it, no matter what the case, I just thought that I might join the Ruger Forum to visit with folks that have like interests "RUGERS" my intention was not to start a debate, rather just find a little information about the gun from fellow Ruger fans.

6gun

Hunter
For a like new used Vaquero in 357 I'd never pay more than $350-$450 made for a sporting goods store no one has heard of unless they live in that area and what number it is means nothing value wise, I think a standard model would be worth more, you seem to keep hoping for someone to tell you that you found a valuable treasure like it or not you didn't, just being honest with you not trying to insult.

street

Hunter
vanhamlin said:
OK, got the Model # last night (model # 5139) dealer exclusive for a place called Jerry's Sports Center our of PA.
mine being #18 of 50 that were made.
Took a couple pics on my phone, but still can't figure out how to post them....any advise is appreciated.
Also my original question still hasn't been answered as to if anyone else has one of these or has even seen one, or what its approx. value would be.
BTW, got some really great information from SteelShooter, he really seems to know his stuff, and apparently has a crystal ball that I want one of. Thanks again SteelShooter
Look on your box at the label end and there should be a number such as BNV-34IE or BNV-36IE or some such number. Model 5139 doesn't help much.

And I might add welcome to the Ruger Forum !!! Not everyone will give you a rough time when you ask a question. Most of the members are here to help. Please feel welcome to ask any questions that you wish and usually they will be answered quickly and with a little more compassion then you received with your first try. Don't let it get you down and feel free to ask anything you wish.

I still say you have a very rare gun, but as it stands now not very many people collect New Model Rugers and so there won't be a great desire to get overly excited about your gun. But that's a good thing because you don't want to sell it and it keeps the prices low in case you are looking to add some new models to your collection.
When I started collecting Rugers I was laughed at because all of the serious collectors were collecting Colts, S & W, and Winchesters. They all said that the Rugers would never be worth anything. Because of that I could buy Bearcats at $75 to $95 apiece and Single-Sixes were going from $75 to $100 and .357s were #135 to $150. Yes! NOW LOOK WHAT THESE GUNS BRING!!! One of these days these rare New Model Rugers will bring a big premium and you will have the last laugh just like I had on my Rugers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

street

Hunter
vanhamlin said:
Thanks Buckeye it is a cat.# KNV-35-EN
Here is what I came up with:
K------Ruger uses that to denote Stainless Steel
NV----New Vaquero
3------Is for .357 Mag.
5------ Is for 5 1/2 in. bl.
EN-----Is for engraved

He is an ad for a consecutive pair of these guns with a picture. This should show everyone what they look like.

408674072.jpg

PAIR -Vaquero Engraved Stainless .357 Magnum/.38 Special+P
Product ID 58956 ::
Manufacturer Ruger
Description PAIR of sequentially numbered, new In box distributor exclusive Ruger New Vaquero Engraved Stainless .357 Magnum/.38 Special+P 6-Shot Single-Action Revolver, KNV-35-EN/5139, 5.5" high-gloss stainless-steel barrel, high-gloss stainless-steel 6-shot cylinder engraved with gold-inlays, high-gloss stainless-steel frame, hammer, trigger and trigger-guard; fixed sights, notch rear and blade front sight, Ivory-type grips with gold Ruger medallions. Ships in factory hardcase with padlock, fired cartridge, manual, registration card and factory papers. Ruger New Vaquero Engraved Stainless .357 Magnum Single-Action Revolver Features: -OLD WEST FEEL AND HANDLING with the pre-1962 "XR-3" style, steel grip frame. -High-gloss stainless steel model, simulating the attractive, but relatively fragile nickel-plating found on many original revolvers. -Factory gold-inlay engraved cylinder and Ivory-type grips with gold medallions. Ruger New Vaquero Engraved Stainless .357 Magnum Single-Action Revolver Specifications: Catalog Number: KNV-35-EN, Model Number: 5139, Caliber: .357 Mag., Material: Stainless Steel, Finish: High-Gloss, Sights: Fixed, Capacity: 6, Barrel Length: 5.50", Overall Length: 11.12", Weight: 44.00 oz., Grips: Ivory-type, Twist: 1:16" RH

Department Handguns › Revolvers

In stock
REG: $1650.00
Price $1350.00

These can be ordered from Best Firearms & Ammo
http://www.bestfirearms.com/catalog_detail.php?product_id=58956

6gun

Hunter
Yup thats them alright seen them many times quite ugly, one old guy at our monthly gun show has had the same one always sitting on his table for about 3 years now no takers, he wants $350 for it.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
6gun said:
Yup thats them alright seen them many times quite ugly, one old guy at our monthly gun show has had the same one always sitting on his table for about 3 years now no takers, he wants $350 for it.

:shock:
Please send me a PM with your friend's contact info,,,I will buy his gun if it is one such as Street has posted a KNV-35-EN NIB. $350.00 I'll pick up the shipping also.

Thank you Sir I look forward to your PM!!
Terry

street

Hunter
Gee!!! It's hard to believe that someone has had a brand new, New Vaquero .357 mag. for sale for $350 dollars and nobody has bought it in 3 years. Here is an auction for a .357 Mag New Vaquero Stainless Steel with no engraving and it's up to $501.00. You would think that this guy would have no trouble selling his gun for $350.00. I guess some people don't know a bargain when they see it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=390418802

street

Hunter
T.A. WORKMAN said:
6gun said:

Please send me a PM with your friend's contact info,,,I will buy his gun if it is one such as Street has posted a KNV-35-EN NIB. $350.00 I'll pick up the shipping also.

Terry
Now here is a person that knows a bargain when he see it. :lol: :lol: :roll:

6gun

Hunter
T.A. WORKMAN said:
6gun said:

Terry

Not my friend just a guy at the gun show, have no contact info. for him, I'll see if he has a card next time I go, I only went two times last year, he still had it then, He said he didn't have the box for it and it's been fired, it has the white plastic grips but I don't remember them being old model grips like in the picture.

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
I'm in line after Terry T. and I'd be happy to pay him $400.00 for the gun, after he buys it for $350 :mrgreen:

Street, nice find on the info! Looked all over the web trying to find a photo or reference to these, and could not find anything. Hope Chet adds these to the Ruger Reference and next isue of RENE, looked under the New Vaquero section and did not see anything.

6gun

Hunter
SteelShooter said:
I'm in line after Terry T. and I'd be happy to pay him $400.00 for the gun, after he buys it for $350 :mrgreen:

Street, nice find on the info! Looked all over the web trying to find a photo or reference to these, and could not find anything. Hope Chet adds these to the Ruger Reference and next isue of RENE, looked under the New Vaquero section and did not see anything.

You guys really like that gun? :shock: it's not the only one I've seen at the show over the years there have been others, I only noticed this guy had it for so long case I've never seen him sell anything, he one of those guys with the sign on the table saying do not touch anything without permission and that tends to drive people away.

I still don't think the guns valuable cause I've seen a number of them but if you guys figure out that it is worth something might just buy it myself to resale at a profit. :D

chet15

Hawkeye
I've got some notes on these...there were four different models, but have no idea on quantities.
I do need serial numbers though from anybody who can provide them!!

That distributor did these models...
KNV455-EN Ruger model 5137
NV35-EN Ruger model 5138
KNV-35-EN Ruger model 5139
NV455-EN Ruger Model 5140

There might be 50 of each of these models for all I know, not enough people reported them to me when they came out to know much about them.
Ruger doesn't help either...who knows, they might have been able to sell a bunch more of them if they'd just been advertised by the distributor and Ruger better.
But these did come out right after the four models of 60th Anniversary New Vaquero models.

I do have a question to the owner and starter of this thread...how do you know it is #18 of 50. Is that marked on the box or engraved on the gun or ?
Chet15

6gun

Hunter
Just did a Bing search, typed in engraved vaquero and looked at the images they show, I see the gun also came in a blue with a case color receiver as well as s/s I clicked one of the images that shows a s/s one laying on a white towl and it says it sold at auction for $478, there was also one in 45 Colt, that would be more valuable than a 357.

vanhamlin

Bearcat
Wow thanks Buckeye thats exactly the Type of information I was looking for. All I ever asked when I started this Forum was if anybody else out there had seem or owned one of these and about what they might be valued at....nice work.....BTW even though they are "Quite Ugly" LOL and a lot of the remaining 47 of them that were released are apparently in your área Hunter selling for $350.00 LNIB, or less probably since they won't sell for that much I will take every one of them that you can find for that price and pay you a 10% finders fee. :lol:

6gun

Hunter
Have you read all the posts? Chet just pointed out 4 different models all with the same cylinder engraving inlay, far as I know there were 357's, 45 Colts, Blue models, S/S models, white grip models, black grip models, Chet may come up with info. more wait and see, if you think there were only 50 Ruger that ever had this cylinder engraving your dead wrong. :lol: :lol:

6gun

Hunter
street said:
vanhamlin said:
Thanks Buckeye it is a cat.# KNV-35-EN
Here is what I came up with:
K------Ruger uses that to denote Stainless Steel
NV----New Vaquero
3------Is for .357 Mag.
5------ Is for 5 1/2 in. bl.
EN-----Is for engraved

He is an ad for a consecutive pair of these guns with a picture. This should show everyone what they look like.

408674072.jpg

PAIR -Vaquero Engraved Stainless .357 Magnum/.38 Special+P
Product ID 58956 ::
Manufacturer Ruger
Description PAIR of sequentially numbered, new In box distributor exclusive Ruger New Vaquero Engraved Stainless .357 Magnum/.38 Special+P 6-Shot Single-Action Revolver, KNV-35-EN/5139, 5.5" high-gloss stainless-steel barrel, high-gloss stainless-steel 6-shot cylinder engraved with gold-inlays, high-gloss stainless-steel frame, hammer, trigger and trigger-guard; fixed sights, notch rear and blade front sight, Ivory-type grips with gold Ruger medallions. Ships in factory hardcase with padlock, fired cartridge, manual, registration card and factory papers. Ruger New Vaquero Engraved Stainless .357 Magnum Single-Action Revolver Features: -OLD WEST FEEL AND HANDLING with the pre-1962 "XR-3" style, steel grip frame. -High-gloss stainless steel model, simulating the attractive, but relatively fragile nickel-plating found on many original revolvers. -Factory gold-inlay engraved cylinder and Ivory-type grips with gold medallions. Ruger New Vaquero Engraved Stainless .357 Magnum Single-Action Revolver Specifications: Catalog Number: KNV-35-EN, Model Number: 5139, Caliber: .357 Mag., Material: Stainless Steel, Finish: High-Gloss, Sights: Fixed, Capacity: 6, Barrel Length: 5.50", Overall Length: 11.12", Weight: 44.00 oz., Grips: Ivory-type, Twist: 1:16" RH

Department Handguns › Revolvers

In stock
REG: $1650.00
Price $1350.00

These can be ordered from Best Firearms & Ammo
http://www.bestfirearms.com/catalog_detail.php?product_id=58956

I think someone changed the grips or grip emblems out on these two guns, I don't believe them to be factory original, all the ones I have seen at gun shows and in pictures have had new model XR3 grips and emblems.

contender

Ruger Guru
6gun, is it possible you are seeing a different Vaquero model a lot? Back in the mid 1990's Davidsons had a special run of Vaqueros with gold engraved cylinders. 12 different variations if my memory serves me correctly. Some were much more common than others, and some were very rare. They too were introduced with low fanfare & many are collectable.
It is possible you are seeing a variation of the original Vaquero, vs this New Vaquero.
Just offering an observation here.

To vanhamlin, it appears you have one of the variations of 4 different New Vaqueros. Chet15 is THE man with the records & info that many of us use as a source of knowledge. He publishes the Red Eagle News Exchange, and also the "Ruger Reference Guide." That is why he has asked for more details, so he can record as much info as possible.
BTW; you will see that some of us are called "guru's, or buckeyes, or hawkeyes" etc. It's more of a reference to our post count & how long we've been collecting etc. We go by our "names" here such as Chet15, contender, 6gun, SteelShooter etc.

And as I've said, Welcome! You obviously have a nicer, and very possibily a rarer version of the New Vaquero. I for one like it. But hey, I have some of the Vaquero's with the engraving & inlay.

Latest posts