Union contract question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
This may belong in the political forum, but I don't really want it to go political. Just trying to see the logic behind this.

UAW and Chrysler

The union negotiators hammer out a contract. The rank and file vote it down in a big way. Now Chrysler is getting threatened with a strike and being held up for more.

Where does the UAW negotiating team get fired, screwed, or billed for doing a crappy job? THEY screwed up, but will get off scott free for screwing the company with poorly planned, or bad faith, negotiating.

Why aren't the members saying their leaders suck? The company did what a company does at negotiations. The union did what they do. The union screwed up. They should get their chance to fix it AT THE NEXT NEGOTIATION.

Union members selected the weenies to negotiate. It is not the company's fault they picked poorly.

I make a deal with someone and shake hands the deal is done. If I feel I screwed up so be it. I made the deal.

No, I don't work for Chrysler, but I just don't get how they should be held up for poor negotiating, or not knowing what their members really want, by the UAW team.

Mike J

Hunter
I don't really know all the details of this situation. I will probably catch flak for this but I am a journeyman building trades union member. We just settled out contract. The contractors were not willing to give what the people negotiating for our side asked for. When the time came we still had to vote on the contract even though the negotiating committee knew the membership would reject it. It got voted down. The contractors made another offer it got voted down also. We did not strike as we have a no strike clause. The contract went to the arbitration board for binding arbitration. We got more money & some other things we wanted. The contractors got some of our overtime rates & shift hours changed. They also got ratios changed where they can work more helpers & apprentices per journeyman on some jobs. Both sides got some of what they wanted & lost some things they wanted. It all worked out. As for the UAW & how they do things I do not know. All unions & even different locals within the same international union can be different.

737tdi

Hunter
Howdy Dan, I don't know the specifics either. I will say that this is not unusual in Union votes. We voted down two proposals with our current contract. Our flight attendants just voted down the companies offer. Our pilots are voting as we speak and the strong rumor is that it will not be voted in. The mechanics contract has been amendable since 2012 and we aren't even close to a proposal yet. The company blames the union and the union blames the company???? We are now in federal mediation waiting for a proposal. Believe it or not I think it benefits us that the company did not get something done. Delta and American mechanics just got large pay raises, I believe Delta's mechs. received an immediate 17% raise, that puts us in a better bargaining position. Just my thoughts.

Karl

wheelgun1958

Blackhawk
I'm here to tell you Karl, that 1.5% does not a large pay raise make. We mechanics here at AA are at a much lower wage rate than you are. Nothing personal, it is what it is.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
It's like when the Senate has to ratify a treaty.

quote> The Founders of our Nation understood that we might need to join international agreements – but they didn't make it easy. The Constitution gives the President the power to commit the United States to treaties – but only with the advice and consent of two-thirds of the US Senate, and only if the agreement does not contravene the Constitution. <end quote

737tdi

Hunter
wheelgun1958 said:
I'm here to tell you Karl, that 1.5% does not a large pay raise make. We mechanics here at AA are at a much lower wage rate than you are. Nothing personal, it is what it is.

I had not heard what American was offering. :( Delta's is quite significant and will quell the argument by some of our management that we are top scale (not including UPS or FedX). Unfortunately y'all are still getting bankruptcy wages which sucks, you'll be back up there, hopefully soon.

One thing I didn't mention, it is almost a crime to vote yes on the first offer because the company will hold back a little for negotiating.

Karl