Unintended consequences

Help Support Ruger Forum:

usbp sw

Bearcat
I never intended to collect Rugers. I actually wanted the Ruger firearms to shoot them. However, several of the firearms I chose have become collectable. The dilemma is that I am not enjoying some because they have become too collectable. I am considering selling the most collectable and I was hoping someone here could give me some guidance on what I should ask for them. I am considering selling a consecutively serialized pair of KBNV-325X revolvers, it's my understanding that there were less than three hundred of this model and barrel length produced. I saw recent sales of this revolver for $1850, what should I expect for a consecutively serialized pair? They are both lnib, I think I shot a cylinder full of .32-20 through one. The other is unfired after leaving the factory. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hittman

Staff member
You have a VERY narrow market on those items. I've no clue on value though.

You've got some research time and efforts ahead of you. I'd start by looking at COMPLETED auctions at a place like Gun Broker.

contender

Ruger Guru
Collectors want mint, complete specimens to make their collection the best it can be. And as noted,, you have a narrow area of collectors to sell to. You can direct your sale to the potential buyers by placing ads in places where collectors are present.
A consecutive set is often harder to move due to the costs. Not as many have $3000-$5000 to drop on a set,, while more individuals may be able to afford $2000 each.
As noted,, a narrow market.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Also important .
Are yours the convertible models with both 32 mag and 32-20 cylinders?

Things that sell so seldomly don't really have an established value.
Best bet is a national auction site . Get well done ,professional pictures and post it with pie in the sky prices . You can always come down later.
Be patient and see what happens.

Good luck finding out what they are worth. I've thought about the same thing. Selling some of the more rare models I have.

But I just can't bring myself to do it. They will always be collectible, and in the future they should be worth even more.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Good luck finding out what they are worth. I've thought about the same thing. Selling some of the more rare models I have.

But I just can't bring myself to do it. They will always be collectible, and in the future they should be worth even more.
I bought a new 5" Colt Anaconda many years ago for $444.
As time passed,and Colt quit Anacondas, the 5" turned out to be one of only about 200 made.
It became so valuable, I quit shooting it,and used my 6" Smith 29 for a few years.
Then I thought "this is dumb",and I put it on GunBroker for starting bid $2000.
On the 7th day two guys "had to have it",and it sold for $5982.
Then , over the next year, I bought 5-6 new guns .
I don't miss the Snake, and I'm really happy with my new guns.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Never collected guns as investments but to be used, many times as a tool (OM Blackhawks when I guided, Colt SAAs when shooting SASS, Old Colts and newer S & Ws), and presents for my wife, or EDC for both of us! =Never really lost money when you consider the pleasure I got.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Put them both on a gun auction site like Gunbroker or one of your choice. Start the auction low, even at a penny, that always gets more interest and bidding. But list them separately and at the same time.

Refer to the 'other' matching serial # gun auction in each of the auctions. If someone wants both, then they have the opportunity to bid high to get both. It can drive the bids up on both of guns.

Do you have boxes and paperwork for them?

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Those are high demand Vaqueros. I have sold the 4-5/8" version for as much as $1658 + $50 shipping + $136.64 sales tax ($1844.64 total) on GunBroker in a no-reserve, penny start auction. That was in January of this year. I sold another here in the Classifieds for $1300 shipped in 2021 and it got snapped up quickly. The 5.5" generally goes a bit lower, but on a good day, I would guess that you could see over $3000 for a consec pair.

I agree with Hondo44's advice to list them simultaneously and refer each ad to the other with wording about the consecutive pair option. You'll know the item # of the first one to put it into the 2nd ad, then you can go back and edit the first one with the second item number. Maybe add that you can offer a break on shipping if bought together. I would either list them on a Thursday night for 10 days, or a Sunday night for 14 days. I've found that having auctions span two weekends and closing on Sunday night will draw the most interest and chances of the right guys seeing them. If possible, list them around/after 11PM eastern time, that puts the west coast closing at 8PM after dinner and weekend activities. Pay the extra $2.95 each to "feature" the auctions in the category, that way the listings show up ahead of non-featured stuff in the search results. Single action revolvers are California compliant, and there are several deep pocketed Vaquero collectors out there, so don't exclude them on political reasons.

Good luck! Post links in the "Auction Links and Recurring Items" section so we can all watch and maybe bid!

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I'm always astounded at the gun sellers that exclude Californians from auctions in some misguided attempt to punish them.

usbp sw

Bearcat
Those are high demand Vaqueros. I have sold the 4-5/8" version for as much as $1658 + $50 shipping + $136.64 sales tax ($1844.64 total) on GunBroker in a no-reserve, penny start auction. That was in January of this year. I sold another here in the Classifieds for $1300 shipped in 2021 and it got snapped up quickly. The 5.5" generally goes a bit lower, but on a good day, I would guess that you could see over $3000 for a consec pair.

I agree with Hondo44's advice to list them simultaneously and refer each ad to the other with wording about the consecutive pair option. You'll know the item # of the first one to put it into the 2nd ad, then you can go back and edit the first one with the second item number. Maybe add that you can offer a break on shipping if bought together. I would either list them on a Thursday night for 10 days, or a Sunday night for 14 days. I've found that having auctions span two weekends and closing on Sunday night will draw the most interest and chances of the right guys seeing them. If possible, list them around/after 11PM eastern time, that puts the west coast closing at 8PM after dinner and weekend activities. Pay the extra $2.95 each to "feature" the auctions in the category, that way the listings show up ahead of non-featured stuff in the search results. Single action revolvers are California compliant, and there are several deep pocketed Vaquero collectors out there, so don't exclude them on political reasons.

Good luck! Post links in the "Auction Links and Recurring Items" section so we can all watch and maybe bid!
Excellent advice, I thank you for taking the time to respond in detail. Thanks again.

hittman

Staff member
FFLs here in our rural area called fly-over country, they don't buy or sell on line.
They might get one request a YEAR to ship something to CA.

Therefore, they've never done any research on what it would take to make a CA transfer happen.

It's not that they're punishing CA residents it's just that they don't think of them at all. No financial incentive to do so.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Not "rocket surgery" :unsure: but you do need to be a FFL holder.

Here is the website that walks you through getting a login and then getting an approval letter for a shipment.

Getting a letter does not involve giving up make, model, or serial number. Just number of handguns and number of long guns in the shipment. You should, of course, ensure that the gun(s) you are shipping are CA compliant, otherwise you may have to pay return shipping when the receiving dealer cannot accept the shipment.

I'm a FFL and I only ship maybe 2 guns per year to CA on average, but it is still worth having the free login so that you can get the approval letter instead of giving CA residents the finger when they want to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights. Think of it instead as giving that finger to Nancy Pelosi and Adam Schiff.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Not "rocket surgery" :unsure: but you do need to be a FFL holder.

Here is the website that walks you through getting a login and then getting an approval letter for a shipment.

Getting a letter does not involve giving up make, model, or serial number. Just number of handguns and number of long guns in the shipment. You should, of course, ensure that the gun(s) you are shipping are CA compliant, otherwise you may have to pay return shipping when the receiving dealer cannot accept the shipment.

I'm a FFL and I only ship maybe 2 guns per year to CA on average, but it is still worth having the free login so that you can get the approval letter instead of giving CA residents the finger when they want to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights. Think of it instead as giving that finger to Nancy Pelosi and Adam Schiff.
Thank you!

usbp sw

Bearcat
The won't ship to California has been a pet peeve of mine for some time, I wonder who those people think they are hurting. Those of us that are stuck in this state did not vote for any of the idiots that have been elected to represent California on a state or national level. The other problem with this is that other state or national government entities see that these policies are working to undermine the rights of all of us and may strive to implement them elsewhere.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
usbp, I didn't realize you were in CA when I typed my suggestions yesterday. That should make selling to CA a little easier, even if you have to ship, since all the FFLs will already have a DOJ account.

And I do realize that Pelosi and Schiff are fed level, and not responsible for state laws, I just don't know who any of the the state moonbats are.