Unidentified primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JackpineWillie

Single-Sixer
I recently acquired a large number of loose primers, approximately 50% large and 50% small. I have no idea why they were not in packages. Is there a way to tell the difference between rifle and pistol or magnum and standard? I would like to make use of them if I can do it safely. I only reload for bolt action rifles and Ruger revolvers. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Enigma

Hunter
Haven't we had this discussion once already? Maybe that was someone on another forum. First thing, loose primers in large quantities are extremely dangerous to handle, and are subject to sympathetic detonation. People have been killed handling large quantities of loose primers carelessly. Large rifle primers are .008" taller than large pistol primers. Small rifle and pistol primers are identical in size; rifle primers have thicker cups. My personal take on this situation would be to use all of the small primers for pistol ammo, assuming that your revolvers will ignite them consistently. That way you don't have to worry about piercing or blanking pistol primers in rifle ammunition due to excessive (for the primer cup thickness) pressure. Treat them as magnum small pistol primers. Sort the large primers, and treat them all as 'magnum' variety primers for their respective application (rifle or pistol), for the same reason - pressure.

A more cautious man might bury them in the back 40, or turn them over to the local Bomb Squad for disposal.

Cholo

Staff member
There's no way I'd fool with them! I'd fill a bucket with water and put them slowly into it. After a few days I'd bury them where they won't be dug up.

Back in the 70's I had about 50+ primers blow up on my reloading bench. I can't imagine a "large number" blowing all at once.

With all the unknowns about them, as Cholo said put them in a bucket of water. Nothing like loading them and find out some or all have been rendered unable to fire or hang fire. Far to many ways they could have been contaminated. My primers go from the carton to a tray and into a case without any hands, fingers touching them. If 1 gets dropped or touched it goes into the garage after a spray of WD 40. Handing primers is the easiest way to destroy them.

You all are looking at this all wrong!
Those primers are perfect for case forming! Another useful function.
No need to worry about pressure in case forming. A little fast burning pistol powder, 1/4 sheet of toilet paper wadded up and pushed down on the powder. Cream of wheat as needed and another 1/4 sheet of wadded toilet paper stuffed in the case mouth.
Get some safe use out of the.
I use 10.0 grains of Red Dot to fire form 9.3x74R brass to .410 3" All Brass shotshell hulls. You can always start low and increase the charge until your case neck is formed.

Enigma

Hunter
And then, one has to ask the obvious question - why were they dumped loose into whatever container(s) they are in now? There had to be a reason.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Using unknown powder is moronic , unknown primers is merely stupid .

If these were the last primers in the world , and you had no other choice :

Assume the worst possible combination from a pressure standpoint , and reduce charges accordingly . And have a sense of humor about any resulting inconsistent ignition .

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Using unknown powder is moronic , unknown primers is merely stupid .

If these were the last primers in the world , and you had no other choice :

Assume the worst possible combination from a pressure standpoint , and reduce charges accordingly . And have a sense of humor about any resulting inconsistent ignition .
Unknown powder yes, it is moronic.

Unknown primers is perfectly safe.

Here's a video to explain things:

3manfan

Single-Sixer
Unknown powder yes, it is moronic.

Unknown primers is perfectly safe.

Here's a video to explain things:

Knock yourself out, we'll pass. A bag full of loose primers?
That's a detonation hazard to begin with & that knowledge is all that one should need to say "no thanks".
You go ahead & mess around with that nonsense....we'll pray for you.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
We'll give the OP the benefit of doubt , that the primers were already dumped loosely before they were offered to him . At that point , his binary choice would have been walk away ,or attempt to find constructive use for them .

When primers were readily available @ $30/ brink , safely disposing unknown primers was easy answer . With $85- 125 or more , with spotty availability of the various flavors , I could come up with specific loads enough margin of error in primer strength to at least be worthy of further testing .

JackpineWillie

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the info. I was looking for safe applications for unknown primers but have been alerted to the fact that loose primers are unsafe to handle. That being the case, I will dispose of them safely. Thanks again, Steve

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
Me and my buddies would put them on the railroad tracks 50 years ago.
Ah, the good old days.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I believe that one of the safest ways to neuter them is with WD-40. Not so sure that water will permanently do it... ????

J.

Latest posts