Uneven forcing cone?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jumbopanda

Bearcat
I have a Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 and there's something that's been bothering me about it. When I look at the forcing cone area, I notice that it is cut very unevenly. Accuracy seems okay, but then again, I haven't fired it from a rest so I haven't determined the gun's full accuracy potential. In any case, has anyone else noticed this in any of their Ruger revolvers?

Lexn45r.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
First things first,,, shoot it to truly see if there is a problem. If not,,, don't worry about things you perceive as a problem. If it's accurate,,, who cares what things look like.

Next,,, looking at your picture,,, I don't see what you describe as an uneven forcing cone. It must be the picture.

dleong

Bearcat
I think the OP is referring to the "speckled" area between 11 and 1 o'clock on the end of the barrel.

maxima2

Bearcat
I think it looks good. Maybe clean it up a bit and take new pics of both sides to see what you are talking about.

looks about 'average' to me, the differences spoken to above are camera angle, and the thickness going around is what the eye is seeing, the bore has to be concentric to/with the forcing cone, the outside diameter and being slightly "uneven" is nothing to be concerned about...the speckling is caused by whatever type of powder/load is being used, and again, common...you can clean up , recut, recut the face of the rear of the barrel, whatever, make it look 'nice and shiny' ; as for the 'break" of the edge, again common, see some flush, but most are slightly counterbored....bottom line , the proof is in the firing ( shooting) and the gun accuracy with the proper,,correct load ,best suited for that gun. I would be more concerned with the muzzle, and the barrel length, being on the VERY 'short' side...............not exactly a 'target gun' :wink:

Jumbopanda

Bearcat
Dan in MI said:
I'm trying to see what OP is talking about too. Although I think I can see different starting points for the rifling which could indicate uneven forcing cone depth.

Yes, this is what I am referring to. The tapered area where the rifling has been cut away is much more prominent at the 12 o'clock position than it is at the 6 o'clock position.

ewC3z4G.jpg

sMzS6gc.jpg

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I would not be happy with that and would be giving Ruger a call to get an authorization number to return it and a shipping label if possible.

clean it and take another picture or two , and rotate the gun, your first picture at the top, the lands, and the grooves are the same (two oclock and 4 oclock) :?:
again, fouling and the lighting are doing this, as well as when they are rifled , the lands and the grooves may not be ( appear) to be the same length, as the lands are high ( elevated) and the grooves are low, almost flush to the cone cut............I looked at two sitting here and they are NOT the same length.
look at another "clean" barrel and compare :wink:
More or less lands and grooves will also show up different as well as the calibers 8)

Jumbopanda

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
clean it and take another picture or two , and rotate the gun, your first picture at the top, the lands, and the grooves are the same (two oclock and 4 oclock) :?:
again, fouling and the lighting are doing this, as well as when they are rifled , the lands and the grooves may not be ( appear) to be the same length, as the lands are high ( elevated) and the grooves are low, almost flush to the cone cut............I looked at two sitting here and they are NOT the same length.
look at another "clean" barrel and compare :wink:
More or less lands and grooves will also show up different as well as the calibers 8)

It's hard to get a perfect picture of this, but if you saw it in person there wouldn't be any doubt that the cut was uneven. Basically, if you look at the 6 o'clock position, there is about 1/8" of rifling missing due to the cut. At the 12 o'clock position, there is about 1/4" missing. Imagine a cone-shaped reamer going in at an angle, and not being parallel with the bore.

6BKIZK2.jpg

9X2zTSk.jpg

Mus408

Hunter
Interesting! Just for the record could you check your cylinder gap? Mine was .011-.012 plus the cylinder wasn't aligned properly with the barrel bore. Mine should be on the way back next week.
They told me they replaced the cylinder.

Jumbopanda

Bearcat
Mus408 said:
Interesting! Just for the record could you check your cylinder gap? Mine was .011-.012 plus the cylinder wasn't aligned properly with the barrel bore. Mine should be on the way back next week.
They told me they replaced the cylinder.

My cylinder gap is 0.006", which is normal. The cylinder alignment is fine as well; I've fired 544 rounds through the gun so far with no issues. I'm just concerned that it might be a little less accurate than it could be.

Mus408

Hunter
Thanks for checking! Several more nights of dreaming about firing this gun for the first time are ahead and I have a pile of various hot .45 Colt loads to try.

not sure on the big bore Rugers, , but the 38/357 they use a 5 degree cutter,we use either 11 degree or for the bigger ones an 18 degree forcing cone cutter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hey if any doubt, then by all means send it back, if it was here, it would be done already..........good luck

jbntx

Single-Sixer
How would the uneven start of the rifling be a problem?
Wouldn't everything just even out once the bullet completely entered the rifling?

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
I would be upset with this. If that made it through QC what else on this revolver did?
I can't even picture how it could have been cut so uneven. I would have it fixed.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
"If that made it through QC what else on this revolver did?"
Ouch, that's the one that would nag me

Mickey D

Single-Sixer
The accuracy is also limited by the barrels length and your ability to hold steady for it's intended purpose, shooting off hand at a bear or something.

Since it bothers you, send it back.

Latest posts