Uneven forcing cone?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chris C

Bearcat
Jumbopanda, just cut a new forcing cone................it's easy. You can do it if you have the tools, or any gunsmith can true that up in 10 minutes. No big deal. When I was doing action jobs and accurizing jobs on revolvers back in the 80's that was something I tossed in for free.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
The forcing cone is a necessary evil through which the bullet must pass to begin its short hectic life. A tilted cone does not bode well. Nevertheless, careful shooting at 15 yards, followed by 25 yards, preferably with medium power loads, will help to sort the accuracy question. Without a target, the accuracy question is hypothetical.

Shoot, measure, report back.
David Bradshaw

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
True enough; At this point the accuracy potential/question is hypothetical, but a new product should be delivered to the consumer at its best. This example, clearly, is not at Ruger's best. Therefore I feel that this is a big problem.
I wouldn't think it to be ok to buy a new car just to drive it from the dealer to the mechanic to have the engine rebuilt so that it would drive at its best. I would expect it to be trouble-free from the start without extra expense and run-around. Ruger firearms should be no different. This is not an aesthetic problem, and it should be addressed.
This revolver would - and is - bugging me.

19ontheslide

Bearcat
Naturally it's the OP's gun and his decision about what to do, but...if it were me in his shoes I would at least make very, very sure that the gun doesn't shoot like a house afire before I sent it in. Yes, the forcing cone is uneven. Granted. But by his own admission he's never tested the gun's rested accuracy. I would make very sure to do that before anything else. What if this gun, even with its wonky forcing cone, shoots into 1" at 25 yards? I'll take a cosmetically-challenged revolver that can do that all day over one that looks good but shoots mediocre. If/when he sends it back to Ruger for them to "fix" it, they'll almost certainly just replace the barrel instead of pissing around pulling his old barrel and re-cutting the forcing cone. That means another chance for a canted barrel, excessive b/c gap, all sorts of new problems that might crop up. Why risk it unless he knows for sure that he's dissatisfied with this gun's inherent accuracy? OP, my advice would be to shoot it rested for awhile and make very sure that it's not accurate enough for you. You can always send it in a little later; no need to rush. If it doesn't shoot well, sure; send it in. But if it absolutely shoots lights-out....I think I could live with a defect that I'd have to point out to people for them to see. My opinion only, of course.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I agree with 19 , shoot it first and then ' SEND IT IN '
I believe a Ruger service tech ( gunsmith ) would not send it home with any issues when the original complaint was that technical. I am sure they will make you happy .