Undersized Throats? .45 Colt...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redoktober

Bearcat
I've read several threads and posts from Blackhawk owners who complain that Ruger undersizes the throats for their .45 Colt. Is this really an issue or a common problem? I'd really like one in .45 Colt, but am considering a .44 Mag or .41 Mag just to avoid the off-chance I get one with undersized throats.

pisgah

Buckeye
It's not so much that they consistently undersize the throats, but that they have been so inconsistent in throat size over the years. Why they would have such a tough time getting this right is a mystery, but any .45 Colt Ruger that gives disappointing accuracy should have the throats checked, as it is a common enough problem.

Rainman

Blackhawk
It can be a problem in all calibers but like the comment above, it's a simple fix. Cylindersmith opened my 44-40 which was WAY TIGHT! I checked a new-to-me 32 H&R yesterday and they came out .311. Should be .314 but it shoots OK so I'll leave it alone. Accuracy (or lack of) determines whether you need the throats reamed.

Dan

jerry b

Bearcat
If you want a .45 Colt BH, by all means get one. It will probably have slightly tight throats, and this can be meaningful or not. Get the gun, shoot it for awhile. Every gun is different.

I have .45 BHs that shoot just peachy right out of the box. No, a .452" bullet will not push through the throats. So what? Excellent accuracy and leading is not a problem. I had a Vaquero that proved to be a little lax, and it improved things to open the throats up.

So, get what you want. If you think the gun not up to muster, CAS does excellent work at a very reasonable price. If you want to live on the upper edge of "Ruger only" loads (particularly those found on the internet-it's your life, take your chances as you will), opening up undersized throats might lower pressures a bit.

BTW, the absolute worse revolver I ever owned accuracy-wise was an OM Super Blackhawk with perfect throats, For whatever reason, it remained a shotgun no matter what load I tried. The second worse was a .357 OMBH. It had throats of all kinds of variety. These are rare, thankfully, but maybe you see my point.

Get what strikes your fancy.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Plus 1 on Jerry b's comments. My NV had throats the went .450+ to .451+ and did not like cast bullets...leading and accuracy issues. I had http://www.cylindersmith.com/ ream them to a uniform .4525" and the difference was amazing. Groups went from 3+" to sub 2" with my favorite loads. HTH's Rodfac...PS: cylindersmith's turn around time last June was in the neighborhood of two weeks.

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
Rodfac's comments mirror my experience with a 1983 or thereabouts Blackhawk .45. The accuracy was nothing to write home about but the leading was AWFUL. I didn't realize what the problem was with that gun until after I had spent too long cleaning the thing up with regular Remington 250 gr lead factory loads. My Acusport is plagued very much the same way.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I've bought 2 45 C Rugers, both had undersized throats. Sent them to Cylindersmith. They came back with some pretty significant tool marks, but they are the right size (0.4525") and uniform.

Wireman134

Bearcat
The throats @ .4525" are much easier pressure on the cylinder. 310gr. boolits at 1100 fps. are pleasant to shoot. Thank you CAS.

SBHframe.jpg

cas6969

Buckeye
That's the down side of reaming by hand, the finish is inconsistent. Sometimes they're smooth as can be, other times they're ugly. (has more to do with the inconsistency of the metal) It's frustrating, I'm about done with it.

cas6969

Buckeye
I'm tired of doing them for free... or worse. One gets screwed up and 4-5 months work goes out the window.

I'm tired of doing them period.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Hmmm...

I was considering sending in 2 or 3 cylinders to get reamed in the very near future. If you are getting out of that business, I'll explore other avenues. I can certainly understand your frustration and don't blame you for wanting out of the business.

Dale53

Blackhawk
cas":31xb5h98 said:
I'm tired of doing them for free... or worse. One gets screwed up and 4-5 months work goes out the window.

I'm tired of doing them period.

CAS;
I'm truly sorry to hear that. I have sent many people your way. You have been performing an excellent service and it would be a shame for the brotherhood to lose this valuable service.

I wish you well in whatever your final decision is.

Dale53

Rclark

Hunter
Speaking of tool marks.... I did my own on three .45s (bought the reamer and the 11 degree cutter for forcing cone). Is there a way of polishing them out.... or is it even beneficial to do so.... or does polishing just do more harm than good. Same question with the forcing cone.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Are the newer .45 colt cylinders any better than the older ones? Older being pre CNC days. I would think the CNC units would be more consistent?