Undersized Throats? .45 Colt...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redoktober

Bearcat
I hope so! I'm looking for an excuse to by a Blackhawk in either 41 mag or 45 colt, but don't want to have to send it to someone for customization.

ohnomrbillk

Single-Sixer
cas":1wxs6icr said:
I'm tired of doing them for free... or worse. One gets screwed up and 4-5 months work goes out the window.

I'm tired of doing them period.
Cas,
Sorry to hear of your frustrations. I sent you 4 cylinders today, and have plans of sending you several more. If there is something we can do to brighten your outlook, do please let us know. Many of us have taken advantage of your services, and we owe you at least the effort.
Bill

Rodfac

Blackhawk
CAS......DON'T GO.....your work on my NV was first rate..the and the gun responded!!! Many thanks for the work my friend. Rodfac aka Dave Oberg

RonEgg

Blackhawk
CAS I hope you can work it out. You did great work with a couple of cylinders I sent you. As a matter of fact, for those that don't know, I sent them both and he sent one back without charge as he didn't think it needed work. You couldn't find a better or more honorable gent to do business with.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
CAS, for whatever it's worth, your throat reaming job on my OM .45 Convertible was outstanding and has made shooting that Old Model much more fun.

I was not able to completely load a round in any cylinder with Keith bullets before you reamed the cylinders. Now I have no problems. Accuracy is excellent and I can see no ream or tool marks.

nhlever

Bearcat
I have checked 3 new Ruger .45 Colt cylinders manufactured in the past couple of years, and all of them measured right around .452. I have a new 45 Colt / 45ACP Blackhawk. The 45 Colt cylinder checks just snug on .452 bullets, and the .45 ACP cylinder is a bit tighter at .451. Ruger has changed the way they machine the cylinders, and guns made since the change measure pretty consistantly.

I'll second the kind words for CAS. He's done some fine work on my "old model" 45 colt vaquero cylinder (SS) and turned it into a real shooter! Also some fine work in support of families and friends in need. Please visit his website and understand some of his journey and work.

hamour

Bearcat
I have a 45 BH convertable 4 5/8" bbl. Early to mid 70's manufacture.

When I went to .454 bullets and a softer alloy, (range lead and 2.5% tin) the accuracy picked right up with 8.5 grs unique.

When I went to higher velocity I went to Lyman # 2 and the acc. stayed good with out leading.

My .454 bullets hang up about half way out of the cylinder when I drop them through. Indicating my cylinders are close to .454

Matching hardness to velocity has helped me tremedously, so it is not just a matter of the right diameter but also of the right alloy and a quality lube.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I want to add to the praise for CAS too. Quick turnaround. Great communication. Fair price. Love the way my BH .45 shoots now. Thanks CAS!

I friend generously lent me his .4525 throat reamer. It wasn't hard to do, but I had some roughness in the throats when finished. I wrapped a piece of green "Scotch Bright" pad around an old .22 cal bore brush and chucked it in a variable speed drill and polished the throats. If you are real fussy you could follow up with some 0000 steel wool wrapped around the brush.

Grampie not Grumpie

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I've sent 3 Blackhawk cylinders to cas, two .45 Colt plus the .45ACP cylinder in my Blackhawk convertiblle. The throats may not have had a mirror polish but the guns sure do shoot one helluva lot better. Enough so I aint touching 'em further. I'm happy. :)
Would be very sorry to see him give it up.
Baker

tek4260

Buckeye
Same story here. I'd love to complain about the finish, but looking at the groups after CAS..........

25 and 90 something yard groups after a trip to Cylindersmith. Do this with your stock 45 Blackhawk.

101_1281.jpg

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
nhlever":3bt8dtjb said:
I have checked 3 new Ruger .45 Colt cylinders manufactured in the past couple of years, and all of them measured right around .452. I have a new 45 Colt / 45ACP Blackhawk. The 45 Colt cylinder checks just snug on .452 bullets, and the .45 ACP cylinder is a bit tighter at .451. Ruger has changed the way they machine the cylinders, and guns made since the change measure pretty consistantly.

Thanks for that info, pretty much what I figured.