Uncle Mike's & Redhawks; UPDATE 10/1/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I keep seeing these posts about the Uncle Mike's finger groove grips on a Redhawk. Apparently they fit some people quite well, and make a difference. As an instructor,, I truly do understand the necessity of "fit & comfort" in a set of grips.

I own a couple of Redhawks,, and yet,, I've never had the opportunity to try a set of these grips.

I've shot factory wood, Pachmyer's, & a few custom cut wood grips. But never any with Uncle Mikes.

Can those who have a set share their thoughts & such on them? Expound upon the WHY they work so good. And lastly,, if anybody has a set I could mount & try out,, I'd be interested in them. Always wanting to learn & understand more.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
1DF60469-E1AD-418C-BD92-B7C5030E9BBA.jpeg

hittman

Staff member
For me I think the biggest plus with them is that they cover the back strap so absorb more recoil.
Also, they're a near perfect size for MY hand.

When I add a Tyler T using factory wood I get more stability. Uncle Mikes are already that size and with finger grooves. But they're not that "square" design like some Pach's and not the spongy feel of others.

Shoot me a PM and I'll mail you a set on LOAN. I don't want to sell them and don't need them back immediately.

hittman

Staff member
They're in a priority mail box now. Will leave our Post office in the morning.
Let us know what you think.

hittman

Staff member
Great idea. Let everybody give them a whirl. I'm in no hurry for their return …. I may have another set lurking here somewhere ….

contender

Ruger Guru
UPDATE;
Ok, I have tried these grips,, and allowed most shooters today to try my Redhawk with these Uncle Mike's grips. I purposely chose a solid magnum load to make sure they shot a true magnum.
By far,, almost everyone felt that these grips were very good, allowed comfort while shooting a heavier recoiling gun, and in general, quite good.

Personally, I have tried them, and even alongside another Redhawk with the Pachmyer finger groove grips, AND one with the Presentation grips.
To be honest,, initially they felt a little small & tight in my hands. BUT,,, when shooting,, they felt excellent. Enough so,, that I'm going to be on the hunt for a set or two.

I want to THANK hittman for the generous loaning me a set to try. Solved my mystery,, well, actually,, my questions.

akbluz

Blackhawk
I put Uncle Mike's grips on my Redhawk in .45Colt. They fit my hand better and handle the "stout" loads that I worked up. I give them a big "thumbs up".