Unable to remove bolt 10/22 Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JJLee138

Bearcat
I attempted to search for a previous thread on this issue, but came up blank.

I'm attempting to break down my new to me Ruger 10/22 and have removed the stock and trigger group as well as the large 3rd pin that limits how far the bolt can come back. Now the problem is that even with the bolt pulled all the way back it's about .5 millimeter from clearing the rail that holds it down. I've been wrestling with this thing for over an hour but can't get it to clear it so it can be lifted out.... Anyone been here or have any idea what might be going on? Thanks a ton for any advice. This thing is driving me nuts!

Firsttimegrampa

Single-Sixer
If you go to the Ruger web site they have video's that will explain what you want to know. Look on the right side of the screen and click Online Video's and them scroll down to Tech Tips..

JJLee138

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcoming. I'm sure I'll be here alot from now on. Actually I had read the manual and watched about 5 or so different break down vids from various sites including the official vid. My problem was still just as I described. I eventually got the bolt out by lifting the rear way up so I could slide the bolt back just far enough finally to clear that lip. No idea why it doesn't just pull up from the front like it does in all the vids....

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I don't remember having to take the bolt stop out to remove mine. I wonder if something is out of place or out of adjustment?

Snake45

Hawkeye
One of my 10/22s had a spring guide rod that was just a hair too long to come out. I ended up having to take the barrel off to get the thing out the first time. I ground a tiny bit off it with a Dremel and it goes in and out just fine now. My other 10/22 gave me no trouble whatsoever in disassembly.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
ab4ka":2fu6x6p4 said:
I don't remember having to take the bolt stop out to remove mine. I wonder if something is out of place or out of adjustment?

The bolt won't come out if you don't remove the bolt stop pin (or buffer).

Desert Dawg

Bearcat
Once the bolt pin is out, you'll have sufficient clearance to remove the bolt, however, sometimes the bolt/charging handle is pulled back and is very slightly cocked in the bolt's handle slot which will not allow the bolt to come back the amount needed for removal.

Once you get the bolt started back with the handle, push on the bolt proper and remove any force that's on the handle so the handle will remain straight.

That will allow enough rearward travel that the bolt will clear.

There's a simple tool made to help in this stage of disassembly, but it's not really required.

JJLee138

Bearcat
Desert Dawg":4q6fpyar said:
Once the bolt pin is out, you'll have sufficient clearance to remove the bolt, however, sometimes the bolt/charging handle is pulled back and is very slightly cocked in the bolt's handle slot which will not allow the bolt to come back the amount needed for removal.

Once you get the bolt started back with the handle, push on the bolt proper and remove any force that's on the handle so the handle will remain straight.

That will allow enough rearward travel that the bolt will clear.

There's a simple tool made to help in this stage of disassembly, but it's not really required.

I know what you are referring to, pulling soley on the bolt handle can cause it to bind and not lift out. That is definately not what's happening here. I'm pulling back right from the center of the bolt and did so for almost 2 hours. Somehow this bolt is simply not clearing the rail holding it down by about .5-1.0mm. No idea how this is happening, but it is lol. From Rugers website it appears this gun was manufactured in 95.

Anyway. As I mentioned I can get it out, but I have to get a screwdriver behind the bolt and lift the rear way up and then pull back to clear the lip.

Desert Dawg

Bearcat
I wonder if it's as simple as an overly thick layer of powdercoating?

I had this same problem in my stainless WW Special first time around, but the bolt did come out with the method described above.

It's possible there could be some manufacturing detritus inside the receiver as well as cardboard box dust.

Go over to Rimfire Central and search the 10-22 boards.
Best bets are Stock, Anything 10-22 and Action forums.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Dig through the advertisers section and you should be able to find the simple tool I mentioned.

In any event, giving it a good cleaning and putting a couple hundred or even a couple thousand rounds through it before the next tear-down should make it easier to disassemble.

Take note as well at how rough the operating rod is.

I should polish mine, but the gun is functioning ok so it'll get to wear in a bit.