Ultrasonic cleaners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Call Sam,,, He's been using one in his shop a lot. I can't remember what he uses,,, but I know it's an automotive product he gets from Auto Zone.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
For the 5 years I've been reloading and cleaning brass, I've used an old (but somewhat small) ultra-sonic tub I bought in 1983 for cleaning drafting pens. Still working well after 32 years. I first started out using 50-50 mix of hot water and vinegar with a couple drops of Dawn dish soap, then the last 2-3 years it's been a very small dose of Lemi-Shine, or plain citric acid, and a couple drops of Dawn in a tub of warm water. Works very well in cleaning, usually no more than 5 to 15 minutes and all is clean inside and out. Deprime (universal deprime die) first and the primer pockets and flash holes are clean .... and I believe it helps circulate the solution through the case and doing a better job on the inside.

jd

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Thanks Tyrone and JD...

This is the reloading sub-forum, so I am talking about using the cleaner for brass casings. JD, I have heard similar recipes for solution that includes Dawn dish soap. I will experiment based on your experience. Ty, I may give Sam a shout...

Thanks

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
Kraig

If you try the LemiShine or citric acid, be sure and use it very sparingly and work up until you find the sweet spot for your system ... a little really does go a long way. If you use too much LemiShine, or leave the brass in too long, you will often see the formation of "pink rust" - which I believe is due to tin leaching out of the brass (which could make the brass brittle). It's my understanding that most all of the chemical cleaners use as their primary ingredient some form of mild acid like acetic, citric, phosphoric ....

jd

Mus408

Hunter
My home brew is no more than 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar and maybe a table spoon of dish soap mixed with I guess 3 cups or whatever amount of distilled water brings my fluid level half way above the minimum mark on my Hornady ultrasonic cleaner.
After 18 minute cycle time,I remove and rinse in water than a quick soak in a water/baking soda mix to remove acidity,and then a fresh water rinse and dry. Works great for what I need!

Not the best pic but these .45 ACP rounds look clean!

dougader

Hunter
I've messed around with various recipes with citric acid from a wine supply shop, dishwashing liquid, etc. Settled on hot water and about a tablespoon of the citric acid in a sturdy 1/2 gallon Snapple bottle. Only 5 minutes, then rinse again with hot water. I save the solution and use it cold for several batches.

These are all deprimed with a Lee universal decapping die. After rinsing I throw them in a dedicated towel and roll them around, then onto an old cookie sheet to dry in the sun. If I want more shine, 20-30 minutes in the vibratory case tumbler makes them look factory new.

Cases size better out of the corncob 'n polish media, too.

There is a huge thread on cleaning with citric acid on the cast boolits forum.