Ultradot Matchdot?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Any thoughts? I am trying to decide between the basic 4MOA Ultradot and the Matchdot. I looking at this for a Mk II and will probably be shooting at 25 and 50 yards mostly. I don't know if the the difference between 2 and 4 MOA is worth the $80. I'd be mostly target shooting, but not competition. Just for fun targets. I'd appreciate opinions on either, or both of these. Thanks!

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
I've had a 30MM MatchDot for several years -- mounted on a Ruger Standard .22 Auto. It has 4 dot size choices. For strictly target shooting (or most other uses, really) I think the regular UltraDot would be just fine. I don't find many uses for the larger size dots.

PS: They may be out of business but I used a SoLow mount on my Ruger and it is a really slick system -- worth looking into if they are still around.

ChuckS1

Bearcat
I have both. The UltraDot is on my Les Baer wadgun on a slide mount. The Matchdot is on my Model 41. Of the two, I like having the smaller dots, especially at 50 yards. Just buy extra batteries cuz I seem to always forget to turn them off.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have a couple of Ultra Dots in use and find them excellent in most every way. However, I have come to prefer the Match Dots for a choice in reticule size. My vision is considerably less than great and some days I need a larger dot and some days I like smaller.

The 30mm size has a larger field of view that is very helpful for a "field pistol".

Regarding batteries - I buy them online from "Battery Bob" and get a bunch of them at a time. The shipping is free and the price is MUCH lower than local prices. The service is first rate. Sooner or later you WILL leave it on and when you next check it the battery is dead. Buying in quantity solves that problem and costs little.

http://www.batterybob.com/product.asp?intProdID=101232

Here's an example of quantity vs price:
1 - 3.99 delivered
5 - 6.89 delivered (unit cost $1.38)
11 - 13.75 delivered (unit cost $1.25)

These are top line batteries - Maxell

No, I am not connected in any way - I just know a good thing when I see it...

Dale53

Ski

Bearcat
Jayhawkhuntclub":jduqy1p3 said:
Any thoughts? I am trying to decide between the basic 4MOA Ultradot and the Matchdot. I looking at this for a Mk II and will probably be shooting at 25 and 50 yards mostly. I don't know if the the difference between 2 and 4 MOA is worth the $80. I'd be mostly target shooting, but not competition. Just for fun targets. I'd appreciate opinions on either, or both of these. Thanks!

If you're using it just for fun targets, then I'd go with the basic 4MOA Ultradot and use the extra $80 for ammo. The smaller 2MOA dot on the Matchdot is better if you get into the bullseye game world.