ULTRA-RARE S4 SINGLE-SIX

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
One of only around 12 known reported! (RENE)

1975 -S4 - Ruger Single-Six .22LR Single Cylinder Revolver, 200 (?) made one year.
Identified by a "Star" stamped in front of the trigger guard on the cylinder frame.

To give you an idea of how Rare they are. An Old Model Collector was once trying to find one and he had two Rare SC-4 Revolvers.
He said he was willing to trade one of his SC-4 Revolvers & he was not asking for any money too boot!!
;)

b5JOC4yh.jpg

UeM4eH0h.jpg

wTytE0ul.jpg

Complete set of Star Revolvers, S4 -S5 - S6 & S9 / KS4 - KS5 - KS6 & KS9.

c93w1yNh.jpg

Terry

thanks, a trip down memory lane. I had one of these with the star and single cylinder purchased new in Orangeburg SC in either 1975 or 76. It was my first handgun purchase. I was so focused on the gun that when I also bought a hunter holster, I bought a right hander and had to swap it out for a left hand holster the next day. Sold it in 1985 when we had 2 little ones and had to make ends meet. CAB

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
thanks, a trip down memory lane. I had one of these with the star and single cylinder purchased new in Orangeburg SC in either 1975 or 76. It was my first handgun purchase. I was so focused on the gun that when I also bought a hunter holster, I bought a right hander and had to swap it out for a left hand holster the next day. Sold it in 1985 when we had 2 little ones and had to make ends meet. CAB
Sir,
You are the 1st person that I've communicated with that also had the pleasure to have owned an S4.
Sorry that you had to sell her for financial reasons, but I & others have been in that same situation before.
But I am pleased to be able to take you back in time down memory lane.
Best
Terry

Last edited:

44Squatch

Single-Sixer
I often wonder why I chase Old Models and not these unusual and rare types of New Models … I'm sure yourself, WMG, and Chad can help push myself over the edge one of these days.

Geez, some of these new models are near geriatric in age now.

The collection of the 8 Star models is fascinating … how long did it take you to complete that wonderful accumulation?

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I often wonder why I chase Old Models and not these unusual and rare types of New Models … I'm sure yourself, WMG, and Chad can help push myself over the edge one of these days.

The collection of the 8 Star models is fascinating … how long did it take you to complete that wonderful accumulation?
Little over three years, I got real lucky on the S4. A friend spotted it at Gander Mountain (interesting story), paid $699.00, it came in with the box but it accidently got thrown in the trash and was gone.
You are correct in the fact that there are some Very Rare & interesting New Models out there worth chasing.
Best
Terry

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I'm not up on these as a rarity - are they rare just because of the barrel length, or the * stamping? I gave my brother a new 4 5/8" Single Six in about 1978 or '79. He later sold it. Grrrr.
The single cylinder STAR guns were only made one year in 1975 in Blue & Stainless, with the 4 5/8" & 9 1/2" guns being the rarest in both groups.
Ruger tried it again in 1985 only in blue models, these were marked with an "Arrow" or also called a "House" stamped in front of the trigger guard.
Terry

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Correct plus the numbers made. Off the top of my head S4-200 made (?) S9-2000 KS4- 900 & KS9-2400. Not sure with out checking my notes on the
the S5-S6 & KS5-KS6 numbers but they are very scarce. Plus they were only made one year! If you rank them in order they would be S4 - KS4 S9 & KS9
as to Rarity. For along time I have doubted that there were actually 200 of the S4 made, but I can not prove different.
Terry

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Yep and I think some of the Six Series double actions are now C&R eligible too.
Well, unless you talk to a local gun store owner I met recently but that's a different story. LOL

There is LOTS and LOTS to learn about the early NMs.