Ultimate clip loader - how does it work?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dennis

Single-Sixer
I have never had one of these ultimate clip loaders in my hand but have seen a demo on youtube. How in the heck to you go from a container of loose cartridges pointed every which way to 10 nice and neat round in magazine with a simple push-pull operation?

Arthur C. Clarke was correct, "Any technology sufficiently advanced is indisdinguisable from magic."

Thanks,
Dennis

Snake45

Hawkeye
If you're talking about the one for the pistol mags, I've seen that video and it's impressive but I have no idea how it works.

I have the Butler Creek loader for 10/22 mags and it works quite well. You do have to jiggle it and hold it just right but once you learn the secret, you can really load up those 10/22 hi-caps in a hurry! Fortunately it's made out of clear plastic so you can see what's going on inside it.

DMN

Bearcat
Once you put about 50 rounds in the loader, you shake it. The rounds can only drop into the feeding groove one way. The rest is a gravity feed into the mag. You push the mag in, which puts the tension on the mag spring and off the mouth of the mag. Bullets fall right into the mag, all going the right way,of course.

I just go to the range with ten mags and say the heck with the "cliploader". It hasn't come out of my range bag in months. I can load a mag in 30-40 seconds. Usually when the line is cold. At my range, it stays cold for a lot longer than 5 minutes at a time. :roll:

Single-Sixer
I bought one a few weeks ago and it works as advertised. It's not as slick as the video shows, but it does work as promised and hopefully with some practice I can get it down that well. I don't shoot a whole lot of mags through my MKII at one sitting but the loader looked too cool to pass up. I'm a sucker for rimfire gadgets anyhow.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
OK, I think I've got it now. Thanks for the explanations!

I shoot alot in cold weather and I find that I need to take my gloves off when loading the magazine for the 22/45 slab-sided, but then my hands get cold. I think this would solve that problem.

22bond

Single-Sixer
It works great for me.
I have several for each different brand of bulk ammo.
It does need to be clean and lube - you can tell when it is new and when it starts to slow down.
You have to pay attention. Sometimes I go so fast that the round ended up straight in the mag. And you have to empty all the rounds out of the mag.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
These things work great and as advertised. The only time I don't use mine is when I realize I'm using too much ammo and I need to slow down. :mrgreen: Also, I'm not as speedy as the "30-40 seconds" loader so they help with that. :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I've been using a Butler Creek thumb loader for years,, and love them. THey are compact & easy to use.
However, I bought one of the Ultimate Cliploader a few months ago. I have found it to be an easy tool to use. You can dump some loose ammo in the large storage bin,, shake it around a little,, and as mentioned,, the bullet noses fall into the groove while capturing the rim. Then it's a matter of slidding a mag in the slot,, pushing it in depresses the follower & spring,, and the ammo falls right in the mag! It's easy.
One big note though. Last Sat we had our NRA WOT clinic,, and of the ladies I had with me,, I gave them all instructions on how to load w/o any tools,, & let them load a mag the original way. Then,, I gave them the Butler Creek tool & they loved it. Then I went to the Ulitmate loader,, and after they tried all three,,,, every one of them preferred the Butler Creek thumb loader.

rooger

Single-Sixer
The first Ultimate Cliploader I bought never did work correctly but they sent me a replacement which works well. I ordered it directly from:

http://zaliznockindustries.com/outdoors.htm

In actual use, the rounds don't fall effortlessly into the mag. I have to shake it slightly to get all ten rounds into the mag. I load four mags at a time and I can do it pretty darn quick. I shoot about 400 rounds every trip to the range so my Cliploader dispenses 40 full mags per visit. It has held up well after about 10 range trips...figure 4000-5000 rounds loaded so far through this contraption. I'm glad I got it.

zenbiker

Bearcat
The first few times I used the Ultimate clip Loader it worked exactly as advertised with all of the ammo. falling into the mags effortlessly. As use progressed, I found that I had to keep shaking the loader to get the ammo into the magazine.
The problem was, and probably is for you, that the ammo I have been using has a thin, waxy coating on it and this deleteriously affects the sliding of the cartridges through the loader.
I took the device apart (easy), cleaned it thoroughly with detergent and water with a tooth brush....Perfect again!
Try this.

raw6464

Bearcat
I bought the Ruger MarkIII BECAUSE of the Ultimate Loader. I can load 4 mags in less than 30 seconds. You need to keep it clean, while empty spray some lube into it like Rem oil, and adjust the mag stop screw on the loader for best results. The only down side is you run out of ammo real quick.