Type 3 flatgate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chance

Buckeye
Picked up this well used 1956 vintage flatgate, #48143, at last weekends PHX show. Gonna clean it up a bit and then shoot the poop out of it without any worries about collectability/value. Could use some XR3 grips if anyone has a set they'll part with to replace the zebra wood.

Type3FG040.jpg

Type3FG080.jpg

Type3FG069.jpg

Type3FG053.jpg

Type3FG094.jpg

Chance

Buckeye
Thanks for looking Dan.

Jussbad, email sent.

It's already looking better. Amazing what some steel wool and a bit of elbow greas will do. Hope to shoot it Thursday.

Chance

Buckeye
Ya Dan and some hammer strikes also. Got it from some folks up in Prescott and there is lotsa lightening this time a year.

Chance

Buckeye
Thanks for the eudcation Tusconite and Flatgate. I thought that was corrosion and was trying to figure out if I wanted to try to clean it up with steel wool. Probably better off leaving it alone and just shooting it.

Lightening strike ARE cool. Hammer strikes are NOT.

Looks like someone used a granite sight adjustment tool
Type3FG086.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
Aww, wmg, you failed to comment on the Head, Hexcel, A&T, Yamaha and K2 skis in the image, as well!

Chance,
Yessir, there's a few of those ol' "sans dash" guns around here.

Here's the "other" side...
114490279.jpg

Second day of production, December 16th, 1953

:D

flatgate

Chance

Buckeye
WOW. Think the Nice Ladys at Ruger would throw one of those in the envelope with the factory letter if I asked real nice?

Chance

Buckeye
Thanks to jussbad this fine old well used shooter is now sporting a set of fine old well used correct grips.

HRgrips010.jpg

HRgrips011.jpg

HRgrips001.jpg

HRgrips002.jpg

Chance

Buckeye
Sure better than those OOOOgly zebra wood things that it came with. Was cool to be able to get the correct set that matched the condition of the gun.