Two Variations of the Ruger Charger stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Garys4598

Bearcat
Since this is the official Ruger Arms forum, it's my belief some of you will appreciate the two modifications that I made to my Charger's stock.

This first one is a mod to the OEM Charger laminate stock; I skirted the bipod and applied some fancy paint:

completedChargerOutriggerproject027.jpg

completedChargerOutriggerproject018.jpg

completedChargerOutriggerproject030.jpg

This second is a Boyd's Barracuda stock that I modified for my Charger:

GarysPlatypusCharger027.jpg

GarysPlatypusCharger018.jpg

GarysPlatypusCharger022.jpg

Thoughts? Viewpoints??? I'm all ears (even that bad.... some folk really don't understand the interest with the Ruger Charger pistol whatsoever).

~Gary

:wink:

First of all, welcome to the forum. Nice pictures! I'm more of a revolver guy, and don't understand the Charger like you said, but nice work. Did you do it yourself? It looks like there are some other modifications as well, like the trigger. I think I like the cut down Boyd's stock better, even if it is right handed. The top one seems too wide around the bipod. Are they heavy? Nice job, thanks for the pictures.

Garys4598

Bearcat
Thank you for the kind remarks guys, and thank you for welcoming me to the forum. :D

Kevin -- What you see there regarding the trigger assembly is a complete "drop in" match grade two-stage trigger unit by Kidd Innovations. The cotton pick'n thing costs more than the Charger pistol itself.... but if you want a two-stage trigger that can be set to break at mere ounces, there exists none better than the Kidd trigger for a Ruger 10/22.

Regarding the stock modications, yes I did both myself with what simple electric tools and a work bench that I have set up in my garage.

The stocks are a little heavier I suppose than the standard OEM Charger laminates, but since I only shoot them with the bipod deployed, any additional weight is a plus versus a hinderance.

Between the two stocks, I much prefer shooting the yellow laminate Boyd's thumbhole stock. I modified that stock approximately a year ago, and after having done so.... with the original OEM Ruger laminate stock gathering dust up on my work shelf.... I thought why not attempt something a little creative by "skirting" the bipod? So I did.

Since the consensus is in favor of the Boyd's stock, here a few more photos of it:

GarysPlatypusCharger007-1.jpg

GarysPlatypusCharger020.jpg

GarysPlatypusCharger024.jpg

GarysPlatypusCharger006.jpg

Charger22

Bearcat
Saw the Outrigger on Rimfirecentral.com. These are both great I love my Charger.

My vote goes to the outrigger, for style and creativity

Garys4598

Bearcat
Charger22":11qe1x28 said:
Saw the Outrigger on Rimfirecentral.com. These are both great I love my Charger.

My vote goes to the outrigger, for style and creativity
Thank you Charger22! (I know you from that forum as well :))

Yes, I couldn't agree with you more regarding the originality; creativity and styling of the 'Outrigger' stock... even the paint that it sports is more unique than the yellow and grey laminate of the Boyd's stock. BUT, when it comes to pulling the trigger out at the firing range, between the two stocks.... since I am right handed.... I prefer the thumbhole stock.

Ummmmm.... I'll admit to my preference between the two stocks as being slightly jaded, for you see.... I have not yet spent a range session with the Charger in the 'Outrigger' stock, having just completed that stock mod project this past Sunday. So.... truth be told, for all I know I'd love shooting the Charger moreso from the 'Outrigger' versus the 'Platypus' stock.

OOOPPSS! Sorry; I forgot to mention that the yellow and grey chopped Boyd's Barracuda stock, I named the 'Platypus' on account of the shaping I did of its forend; when I was finished it kind of reminded me of a duck billed Platypus.

Garys4598

Bearcat
mt":35fqi6xp said:
I really like the paint on that first one, it gets your attention.

mt
Thanks mt and Jman8182!

I used RUST-OLEUM Metallic cobalt blue as the base coat, and then KRYLON Webbing in chiffon gold (the hardware store sold no other color options in the KRYLON paint) to obtain the marbleized/spider web appearance.
:roll:

completedChargerOutriggerproject010.jpg

completedChargerOutriggerproject005.jpg

Many folks don't "get" custom automobiles or motorcycles, either, but they are still works of art, retaining some portion of their original design function or perhaps even having enhanced performance characteristics.

Your custom Chargers fall right into the same catagory. They are works of art expressing your personal feelings for the form/function scenario, incorporating visual/tactile characteristics you find pleasing while augmenting their function to your satisfaction.

Your guns, your money, your choice.

Nice work.

:mrgreen:

Garys4598

Bearcat
Ale-8(1) -- Boy... you expressed it better than I ever could. Thanks!!!! :D

Truthfully though, I just kinda feel that.... "Life is too short to be shooting an ugly gun."

completedChargerOutriggerproject015.jpg

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Man those are hard core customs! The hard work paid off well.

I have to avoid bringing guns like that to my range simply because I would spend all my time talking and zero time shooting. :?

jhearne

Buckeye
Very nice work, on both, I like the thumbhole a bit better I think, but the skirted one is cool in its own way, welcome to RF BTW!

Josh

Garys4598

Bearcat
pvtschultz":3a9ywdg3 said:
Okay, okay. I love the pictures and you've done well, but how the hell do they shoot? Target pics would be great too! :D
FWIW, I don't put a lot of stock (excuse the pun) in people's photos of targets that have been shot-up. They're all circumspect in my opinion.... which is why I don't take my camera with me out to the firing range.

Both these stocks have had custom fabricated brass pillars JB Welded into them (reference photos immediately below) which is about the only modification that can be done to improve the receiver to stock fit for accuracy purposes. The barrel is free-floated for both stocks.

the 'Platypus' stock
finalmodsadjustments003.jpg

the 'Outrigger' stock (prior to painting)
p-brasspillarinstallation.jpg

The aftermarket barrel I installed on my Charger is a 12" bull barrel from hi-desert dog. "Bottom Line Up Front": I habitually shoot this Charger (regardless of which stock I put it in) at 50 yards, and consistently achieve a less than 2" grouping. Without question the gun's accuracy would be improved were I to shoot higher-end ammo.... but for my purposes, CCI Blazer ammo is good enough for me.

:?

When I want to shoot targets a little farther out, I set-up my Savage Striker .22WMR pistol with bipod.... for 100 yrds to 125 yrds. My Striker pistol has a match grade 15" barrel.

If I find myself in the mood to engage targets 200 yrds or further out at my firing range, I'll grab my bull barreled TROMIX TR-15 (pictured below).

TromixTR-15withNightForceBR12-42-2.jpg

:roll: