Two tone markII- picture *Chet- your input is needed*

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
My slip on Davidsons being the Distributor :oops: :oops: :oops:
Still looking through my letters from Ruger as to the grips (wal/target)
Have not got to the bottom of the safe to see if there are standard grips
with the gun also.
Terry

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I purchased 3 when they came out. I bought them from Outdoor Sports. They all had the plastic grip panels. I have seen a few others in the past and all of them also had plastic grip panels. I would say that being Terry purchased his from and auction I would guess they were added " The Walnut Target grips" after being shipped from the distributor. I think Outdoor Sports also did a Bisley about the same time frame.

Sakoluvr

Single-Sixer
When I called the records dept. the other day, the person that received my call said my gun was a "second" because of the "S" in MK512S. I prompted her by saying I thought this was a special production for Outdoor Sports. It was then that she told me to hold on the phone, and came back with the Outdoor Sports verification.

I just a letter from them today. It simply states the serial # of my gun and that it was a "special production model".

street

Hunter
Sakoluvr":2prdcfgz said:
When I called the records dept. the other day, the person that received my call said my gun was a "second" because of the "S" in MK512S. I prompted her by saying I thought this was a special production for Outdoor Sports. It was then that she told me to hold on the phone, and came back with the Outdoor Sports verification.

I just a letter from them today. It simply states the serial # of my gun and that it was a "special production model".

The girl at Ruger was probably thinking about a gun with the "S" in the serial number when she said at first it was a "second". It was good that you question her about it so she would re-check and get you the correct information.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Rick,
I finaly found the gun (but not the letter yet) it had a
pair of plastic grips under the flap in the box so that solves that question.
Add ons.
Terry

Sakoluvr

Single-Sixer
I got mine today. My first ever MKII (or any MK for that matter). I have owned flattops, and various other 3 screws including Ruger factory ivory grips and Ruger factory stags. Most have come and gone because I have pulled myself from the collector mode. For me, getting a little older has changed my view on a few things, and I examined my charater traits when it came to collecting............another topic for sure!

Anyway, this is a VERY nice gun, and I plan on having lots of fun with it! I have been missing out on these cool little .22's. I have a Government model enroute, but I will have to decide if I am going to keep it.

Thanks for all the info, gents.

EDIT: the gun looks almost new!

Geezer

Single-Sixer
Sakoluvr":152ymlj6 said:
When I called the records dept. the other day, the person that received my call said my gun was a "second" because of the "S" in MK512S.

Ruger sells seconds to the public? I find that hard to believe but that may explain the recent recalls. I would think that a major player in the firearms business would not want seconds getting out to the public, even if it was cosmetic seconds.

Sakoluvr

Single-Sixer
I believe "second" means that a gun was returned to the factory for refurbishing.

There are no "blems" or "seconds" sold.

chet15

Hawkeye
Geezer":u8qkflj4 said:
Ruger sells seconds to the public? I find that hard to believe but that may explain the recent recalls. I would think that a major player in the firearms business would not want seconds getting out to the public, even if it was cosmetic seconds.

Those models that are recalled are an entirely different matter. Ruger does not intentionally let guns get to the market that are defective. If a problem is found they make the recall and the guns are fixed. This has nothing to do with Ruger's factory "second" designation like would you might find at a clothing store with cheap examples on the racks.
First of all, the girls at Ruger erred when they said the "S" in the catalog number MK512S meant "second". That's not the case as the "S" is simply the abbreviation for "stainless grip frame". I'm sure they said that because they've seen so many serial numbers pop up in the records with an "S" suffix.
And yes, Ruger does sell "seconds" to the public, at least they used to. Remember though that the "S" guns (later marked with a "U" for used or marked with an asterisk) don't have to have something wrong with them. Many were returned to the factory and refurbished, then sold as "used gun".
Many also come from Ruger's testing purposes, or from their displays at the various trade shows. There are literally thousands that Ruger has let go to the secondary market.
Usually, Ruger's employees get first shot at those that are released. But I do know of at least one instance where a large group of "U" guns were sold to a distributor. And in fact, in the old days those factory "seconds" that the employees didn't purchase were sold through normal distribution, many to a single distributor in Kentucky who would make a buying trip once a year to the factory to buy up all the unusual stuff they had laying around (blackguard Bearcats, nickled Super Single-Sixes, "S" Lightweights and things of that sort).
Today, Ruger doesn't mark their guns with a "U" or asterisk. Only the outer shipping sleeve or long gun box is marked "used gun".
Not too long after Ruger shipped that one large batch of "U" guns to one of their distributors I had the opportunity to tour the Southport and Newport plants. While at Newport I brought the question up "Why doesn't Ruger sell all their "U" guns to one of their distributors" and the answer I got was "WE DON'T MAKE USED GUNS". Guess it was kind of a touchy subject!
And not only the "used" guns are sold. Ruger sells their "blemished" guns in this way too. When I was at Newport in 1991 I was told about a pretty large batch of 10/22's that either had too much of their stock milled too much around the receiver area, or the receiver was milled too much on one side. The entire batch of 10/22's were marked with a "U" prefix or suffix serial number and shipped out. Now that I think about it I believe it was too much of the serial number side that was milled away from the receiver.
Chet15

Bearcat

Blackhawk
Sakoluvr":3v11gkqg said:
Thanks all! I am getting it.

Joy. The serial # is within range, and the gun is like new. The Serial # is 215-26xxx

The other side:

rugerMKIIb.jpg

I'd have to say that the value is in the $500.00 range if it has the box, etc.

--Doc