Two Ruger Hunters to the range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
Took my Single Six and Bisley SBH Hunters to the range today for a little scoped revolver shooting. I've had the Single Six Hunter for several years and had started doing testing on which ammo it likes. With the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6x scope it came with I've shot a full cylinder at 50yds into a sub 3/4 inch group. Lately though I've just plinked with it, and to be honest that Bushnell is just too much scope for it.

The Bisley SBH Hunter was a deal, and. Hadn't shot it before today. Aftermarket sights and elk antler grips plus all the factory stuff it came with. Since the Bushnell was so heavy on my SSH I opted for a used Leupold M8 2x EER for the SBH. Well the scope arrives and it just doesn't fit/balance right....so I put it on the SSH and moved the heavier Bushnell over to the SBHH. Man what a difference on the little 22! Much better balanced. And the SBHH was already heavy, so the extra weight of the Bushnell isn't as noticeable.

The Single Six does ok with a 2x scope. Nothing to write about with bulk pack ammo at 50yds, but good enough to squirrel hunt with. The SBHH though shoots very very well! I shot several groups at 50yds today where the first three holes were either cloverleafs or we're just one big nickel-sized hole. Then after seeing how good I was doing I'd choke and shoot flyers for the rest of the cylinder. My load was mixed 1-2x fired brass, CCI large pistol mag primers, 250gr hard cast bullets, and 22.5gr H110. I'm going to stay with this load and work on not flinching or choking after I start a good group before I start tweaking anything else. I didn't index the first chamber on any of my groups so I suspect the revolver is capable of putting all six into about a half inch at 50yds.

Enough rambling, here's a gratuitous pic

<br/>

Nowata

Single-Sixer
Nice grips on the SBH. I have a red dot on my Bisley Hunter in .44mag. Great groups!!

Two thumbs up on the Leupold M8 2X for the Single-Six Hunter.

That's what I've got on mine, as well. Makes for a nice combo, if one is looking for a scoped small game revolver.

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
Traded into a Bisley hunter model this fall. It shoots scary good with open sights. Put two deer in the freezer with one shot each. Old ideal 429421 hp cast of 50/50 ww and pure lead over 22.0 of H110. That load has filled my freezer many times over the years.