Two piece bolt?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bootlegger

Single-Sixer
Hi, new here (third post) was reading other post an seen someone write about a "two piece bolt" in MKI. does anyone have a pic of the back of one of these "two piece bolts"??

Whats the pros an cons of this? are they weak, junk, rare or just the way ruger made them at one point?

I think mine is a 2 piece but not sure how to tell. Its old, ruger site says 1953.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Welcome to the Forum..., they can be recognised by the fact they are tapered on the ends, the 'flat' on the rear is actually a 'second' ,separate piece, that is "pressed" onto the bolt body...you can "see" the outline of a circle on the back ( end ) of the bolt and there will be a 'flat' in this circle, (this flat keeps the bolt piece from actually being able to 'turn' ( pivot) on the body.....this was done during the Korean War era to "save on steel" for the war effort..instead of turning the bolt as "one piece" from a two inch diameter piece of bar stock, they made two pieces, one the bolt body from a 1 inch piece of stock and a 'piece' of flatstock as we said ""pressed" onto the end........the down side of this is they can and will "come apart" and at the wrong possible time...if you send any of these in for "service" the factory will keep the old bolt and replace it with a newer version, being "safer" to use.........
when the MK II came out ( at least in the stainless versions) , the bolt again, had this "taper" and by the
looks of it appears to be two pieces also, but it is "welded"???? ( not sure really,but there is NO circle on the back ,but you an "see" a line around the bolt body that shows two pieces...

if you have a MK I or RST from this era (eartly 50's ) and the bolt ears are tapered, it just maybe one of the two piece bolts.............

22autobolts.jpg

group of bolts and the one on the left is the Korean War vintage one, and the other end are the later stainless ones ,tapered and straight.......(one piece and two)

22auto2piecebolt.jpg

this is the rear of the early ,two piece bolt...........

hope this helps you out................

Bootlegger

Single-Sixer
That is EXACTLY what I was looking for!! Mine is a old 2 piece then!!

Have seen alot of post from alot of people on here an you all sure know your stuff!

Thank you so much.

Oh BTW, you said if I was to send it in for work (reblueing witch i plan on doing this month) they will replace that bolt with a new one? well I dont want that so guess it stays at home.

Thanks again.

Mike

you can still send them the gun, less the bolt, tell them you lost it??yes,it will cost a few dollars more but well worth it...besides they would 'update; and put in the latest parts, springs etc, as needed.......call them and ask.
No need to send them the grips either, just leave the screws in the frame.

chet15

Hawkeye
And keep the magazine. And if you have the original box and/or papers, don't send those in either.

And hey, a lot of people don't know this, but quite a few stainless Mark II pistols also have two-piece bolts....also identified by the "taper" to the bolt ears.
Today's Mark III pistols are all tapered, but not sure if those are two-piece bolts or not.
Chet15

Latest posts