Two new Rugers in 10 days by accident

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dale_K

Bearcat
I didn't plan it this way but I now have a Mark III standard and today I bought an LCP. The Mark III was on sale and I was looking for a 22. I've already been to the outdoor range in the nearby National Forest three times with it.

Sunday's paper had an ad for 9mm ammo at $10 a box and I had to pass right by Gander Mountain to get to the ammo sale so I stopped and they had LCP's in stock at list price. The mom & pop gun shops either never have this gun or mark it up so I got the one at GM. They didn't have ammo or holsters in stock but the place across the street did so I'm set up.

On the Mark III standard I've come to realize I really want a red dot sight and of course the standard doesn't have holes for a sight mount. Is it economically justified to have this done or would I be better off just trading in the gun on one of the other Mark III models that come from the factory with mounting holes already tapped?

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Isn't it amazing how that happens.

A couple of years ago I got a serious desire for a .45 Colt Bisley, and I happened to find one online. Within two days I found the Bisley SBHH .44 mag I'd always wanted. Ended up with both.

Then there was the time I got impatient looking for a specific model of another gun, bought something almost as nice, then found the one I was looking for the next day. In fact, I just sold the "replacement" last weekend...

-- Sam

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
congrats on your purchases! Sounds like you did pretty good. As far as the red dot, I'd think you'd probably be better off selling your gun and buying another one. A suggestion I'd make is find someone who's got one with a red dot on it and try it out first. I had a S&W 22A that I bought new and put a red dot on, only to find that I liked it better with open sights.

I thought it did have holes for the sight rail.... must be a different model.

Do the internet search thing or keep asking here... there are ways to mount a scope or anytype of sight on what you got with out the holes ... even though it's not that hard or difficult to get a good smith to tap them.... they go right through the top of the receiver. I'd look at changing over to the high vis fiber optic sights first... I really like them better.

Dale_K

Bearcat
Thanks for the info. A guy at GM thought the standard rate for drilling & tapping scope mounts was $60-80. The dealer I bought the Mark III at actually has a used Mark III that already has a red dot on it. I'll check with him about a trade-in.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":2y1gbt61 said:
Isn't it amazing how that happens.

A couple of years ago I got a serious desire for a .45 Colt Bisley, and I happened to find one online. Within two days I found the Bisley SBHH .44 mag I'd always wanted. Ended up with both.

Then there was the time I got impatient looking for a specific model of another gun, bought something almost as nice, then found the one I was looking for the next day. In fact, I just sold the "replacement" last weekend...

-- Sam

+1 for the "amazing how that happens". I had given up on locating a P93DC and bought a lightly used P95. Within a week, I found a KP93 de-cock LNIB that I also added to my small but growing collection of Rugers.