Two guns I do not need, but would like to have.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
So, there are two guns that I do not need, but would like to have.

First I would like to have a Magnum Single Six (Basic Single Six, but a longer cylinder window) in 327 Federal Magnum. It seems to me that the single six is about the right size for the little round. A blackhawk would seem like overkill.

Second I would like to have a Magnum Super Blackhawk in 480 Ruger. A slightly beefed up Super Blackhawk that could handle 6 rounds 480 Rugers (I would accept 5 rounds though).

I figure we will never see either of these. I do not see any chance of getting a Magnum Single Six unless I have one custom built. It also seems like the least expensive way for me to get a 480 Single action would be to buy a BFR in 475 and only shoot 480's out of it.

Anyways just thinking out loud.....

Charlie

You mean a single six with a long cylinder like this 327 conversion? :)
Spence-6Guns042.jpg

Spence-6Guns043.jpg

gak

Buckeye
The single six idea is a good for Ruger to pay heed to...and these custom builders have proven the viability. The one poster saying a Blackhawk woukd be overkill is probably right...but I think a MID frame New Vaquero or Blackhawk (50th Ann. 357/Lipseys 44 frame) convertible in .32-20/.327 (the latter of course also shooting H&R) would be a no brainer...as would a .38-40/.40S&W, etc. Ruger (re)discovered a gold mine with advent of the New Vaquero and its resurrection of the old Blackhawk midframe size)...and there are a bunch of calibers and convertibles they could be doing off it. They've just tapped the vein!

Back to the .32 family: The original large frame Vaquero .32-20/.32H&R convertible was a nice piece but heavy. Lots of metal surrounding those seven little holes. The Mid-frame would improve on that aspect and not be too hefty in a Montado or 4-5/8" length.

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Personally I don't need one, but I still think someday I am going to end up with a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Would love to see what one could do to a coyote.
Also, I really wish Ruger would make their New Vaquero in .38-40 or .32-20.

BobbyS

Bearcat
Your are a very fortunate person to have only two guns you do not need, but would like to have.

Eliminator

Bearcat
Leucoandro":1w2pfhw9 said:

First I would like to have a Magnum Single Six...in 327 Federal Magnum.

Yup, this is the one I would love to see. Many months ago when Ruger was asking for product suggestions/input, this is what I asked for. The only difference is, I really need one! Make it a 4 5/8 inch please!!

flatgate

Hawkeye
gak":2hq4pfup said:
When/where did they ask for product suggestions? I've never heard of such.

Ah, well, the posts here on Ruger Forum do indeed get "browsed" by one heck of a lot more folks than we "regulars" here.........

I'll leave the rest to the reader's imagination.....

flatgate

gak

Buckeye
Flatgate, I understand such things..just 1) had not seen a formal request and 2) nevertheless, one would not automatically surmise that... given the glacially slow development and output/launch of new product (and/or information regarding), and especially given that Ruger is sitting on amazingly versatile chassis (mid frame and single six) with only modest, occasional special distibutor-only runs...the new NV Bisley being both a case in point (re limited calibers like all regular run NVs and BHs) and notwithstanding. I.e., where are the no R&D/$-required .44 Specials (BH and NV), .45 ACP cylinders and other convertible caliber combos, etc? All imminently do-able with very little hard investment. Ironically, in an economic downturn is actually the time to be introducing such new product.(Later ed's).

Yes, I would both think and hope others "that matter" are looking in regularly.

63November

Single-Sixer
Leucoandro":afh58yfr said:
It also seems like the least expensive way for me to get a 480 Single action would be to buy a BFR in 475 and only shoot 480's out of it.

Charlie

I would venture that if your desire for a single action 480 is to have one that handles similar to a Blackhawk, that you might be better off going custom with a Ruger. The work required to acquire a BFR, get it down to size and "fixed" in certain areas would probably be just as, if not more expensive. And it still won't be a Ruger.

I'm going to start hoping that Ruger nevetr builds what we've long wished for - the 480 Single. If they do, they'll make the value of the two 480s- which are not really what I want, consequently the need for two to get most of what I want, but not in a single piece- will be reduced along with, probably, their demand. That will likely make moving them so I can buy a Ruger single less likely. And by the time I am able they'll probably stop production of them like they did with the SRH and I'll end up without any 480 at all. :(

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Can you really get that much more out of the .327 as compared to hot loading a 32 mag? (probably should as that question in reloading) Is a single six converted to .327 going to be any stronger to a single six in 32 mag? Does that extra length give you that much more room for powder? The only thing I could see is possible a little longer bulit if you need one heavier than current.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
JWhitmore44,

I would venture to say yes. The 327 is a fairly high pressure round. My understanding is that it is as high or even higher pressure than the 357 Mag. Loading any gun (even a Ruger) designed for 32 H&R bullets with 32 H&R bullets handloaded up to 327 levels would be very dangerous.

Think about it this way. The 357 Magnum is just a tiny bit longer than the 38spl, but if you were to handload a 38spl up to 357 mag velocities to shoot out of a 38spl only revolver, people would say (and rightly so) that you just want to blow your gun up.

The 32 Single Six's that are converted to 327 do not simply have the cylinder reemed out a bit more to fit the longer shell. A beefier longer cylinder is placed into the gun to handle the much higher pressures of the 327. The gunsmith also has to do work with the gun to be able to fit this beefier longer cylinder.

Charlie

Ethang

Blackhawk
David LaPell":14ae7771 said:
Also, I really wish Ruger would make their New Vaquero in .38-40 or .32-20.

I remember reading an article long ago by Skeeter Skelton on his Colt 32-20 and how good it was for jack rabbits. I have wanted one ever since for absolutely no reason other then that article.

I live in MI and we don't have any jack rabbits. A SS in 32-20 would get on my short list.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Leucoandro":c7cd0ar1 said:
JWhitmore44,

The 32 Single Six's that are converted to 327 do not simply have the cylinder reemed out a bit more to fit the longer shell. A beefier longer cylinder is placed into the gun to handle the much higher pressures of the 327. The gunsmith also has to do work with the gun to be able to fit this beefier longer cylinder.

Charlie

Now this would make sense if a beefier cylinder is being used. I have read where supposedly the cylinder needed to be longer but I hadn't heard beefier.

Frank V

Single-Sixer
Leucoandro":31vogb02 said:

First I would like to have a Magnum Single Six (Basic Single Six, but a longer cylinder window) in 327 Federal Magnum. It seems to me that the single six is about the right size for the little round. A blackhawk would seem like overkill.

Second I would like to have a Magnum Super Blackhawk in 480 Ruger. A slightly beefed up Super Blackhawk that could handle 6 rounds 480 Rugers (I would accept 5 rounds though).

I figure we will never see either of these. I do not see any chance of getting a Magnum Single Six unless I have one custom built. It also seems like the least expensive way for me to get a 480 Single action would be to buy a BFR in 475 and only shoot 480's out of it.

Charlie

ONLY TWO? You're doing really well. LOL. Those would be nice.
Frank

Latest posts