Two First

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
A month or so back I posted a thread about how I decided to modify the stock on my .44 carbine. It was the classic and I did not like the raised portion on the stock.

I have owned this little carbine since the early 70's but never shot it much and never hunted with it at all.

I finished the re-finish on the stock last weekend and loaded up some 240 grain jhp's to shoot in it. I am only a year into reloading.

So the hog I killed yesterday was two first. A first kill with the .44 carbine and the first kill with one of my reloads.

He weighed 358 pounds and was more to mess with than I really wanted. One round behind the shoulder. He took three maybe four steps and went down. He never moved again.

Bigpig210.jpg

His shield caught the bullet under the skin on the off side. I love collecting bullets recovered from game I have shot.

IMG_0185.jpg

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I live in North Florida and this pig was killed about five miles south of the Georgia/Florida line.

I have been hunting hogs since 1971 and this is the second largest I have killed. His teeth were huge.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
We did not throw him in the truck. Think two monkeys trying to have sexual congress with a football.

This is what the carbine looked like after I took down the monti carlo portion of the stock and refinished it.

IMG_0131.jpg

And this is what the carbine looked like after it's first range session. I cannot find the missing piece. Think I will try and fit a piece of Macasser Ebony or other exotic wood in the gap.

IMG_0180.jpg

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Cracker-American, That is one great looking "hog"! Wish we had those in Maine! You did a very nice job on that stock. You might consider a nicely grained piece of "mahogany" as an insert for that repair. It would set that light stock finish off nicely.........................Dick :wink: