Two (2) Different Sized Ruger Birdshead Grips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bluegrassstate

Bearcat
I recently visited my local gun shop. To my surprise, they had not one but two hard to find glossy stainless steel Ruger Birdshead Vaquero's in 45LC...A sheriff's model with a 3-1/2" bbl and another with what looked to be a 4-5/8" barrel..Both had imitation ivory grips, but the grips on the model with a larger bbl had factory medallions.. The grips on the sheriff's model did not. I'd been looking for a sheriff's model so I purchased it on the spot. I then talked the salesman into swapping grips so that I would have the pair with medallions. When attempting to do so, we noticed the grips with medallions were larger and would not fit the sheriff's model...When searching for both models in my Firearms Value Book, you know, the big one that's approximately 5" in thickness, both were mentioned but only the model with the longer barrel was pictured. The description on both stated they came originally with black micarta grips with medallions. no mention was made of one being larger than the other..therefore, if any forum member is familiar with these stainless birdshead vaquero's in 45LC, please reply as to whether or not there were two (2) different size frames...many thanks from the bluegrassstate...

captainkirk

Blackhawk
BlkHawk73":3h2vlyxd said:
Was the other grip frame factory Ruger or an aftermarket (Qualite) one?

That was my thought, the "factory" grips should have medalions.

I always thought the Birdshead Ruger produced was the same size on both the Vaquero and the Single six.

captainkirk

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Factory grips would have the medallions and would either be the black or the white mircata. The Ruger made birds head grip frames were the same regardless of which model it was used on.

rtl

Single-Sixer
If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for the sheriff model ss bhg .45? I have two that I sometimes consider selling.

As for the grips, agree with prior posters, on Rugers they're all with medallions and they're all the same size be they single six, .45 sheriff vaquero or .357 4 5/8" vaquero.

Thanks,
rt

bluegrassstate

Bearcat
I traded a slightly used Taurus PT1911, with case, manual & three factory original Taurus magazines, plus $20.00.....the asking price for the Ruger Sheriff's model was $495.00, plus 6% sales tax...I had approximately $400 invested in the Taurus so I think I got a good deal...thanks from the bluegrassstate..