Twist for No. 3

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Use the cleaning rod method and you will know for certain what you have. I'd guess a 1:12.
Sorry, but I am apparantly not sure how the cleaning rod method works, can you please explain?

I used my Tipton cleaning rod with a brush and marked the rod by the handle with white out. My test rifle was a Ruger American with a 1 in 8 twist. I moved the rod through the barrel slowly counting the revolutions of the rod, I came up with 3.25 turns in a 1:8 twist. Is there a multiplier I need use?
Thanks
Brush.jpg
Rod with Mark.jpg

NikA

Buckeye
Start the rod in the barrel. Mark the position of the rod with a tape flag on the far end and measure to the flag. Push the rod until it does one full revolution and measure again. Your twist is approximately 1:difference between measurements.

You may need a tighter patch than a bore brush. 3.25 revolutions for 1:8" would be a 26" barrel length, don't know what your other rifle is.

Start the rod in the barrel. Mark the position of the rod with a tape flag on the far end and measure to the flag. Push the rod until it does one full revolution and measure again. Your twist is approximately 1:difference between measurements.

You may need a tighter patch than a bore brush. 3.25 revolutions for 1:8" would be a 26" barrel length, don't know what your other rifle is.
Thank you, I will try that.

Latest posts