Turns out my SR9 doesn't like a limp wrist...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ConradM

Blackhawk
Went to the range today and worked on some left handed shooting. Out of the first 10 shots or so my trigger failed to reset... Thought something was wrong so I switched back to main hand and it stopped. No biggie, I just tightened up grip left-handed and the problem went away.

I also held the SR556 on way out... :twisted: That's a nice rifle. Much heavier than I expected though.

jhearne

Buckeye
Yeah, single handed shooting the SR9 needs to be a solid grip, a few ladies who have shot the SR9 have had the Limp Wristing issue as well, this is easily fixed with practice.

Josh

dave

Bearcat
Of course all handguns with light ( alu, plastics ) grip frames ( and perhaps stiff recoil springs ) will tend to make jams, when the grip is allowed to recede.

810wmb

Single-Sixer
:!:

good news for me!

i have posted earlier about my trigger failing to reset 1 time in about 1600 rounds. it bugged the crap out of me....i guess just because it had never happened before.

i had forgotten i was shooting left handed.

mine lost a little piece of barrel, i sent it in, ruger replaced the barrel. i mentioned the 1 time failure of the trigger reset, they replaced it too.

great customer service!

jhstancil

Bearcat
I've come to believe most of the simple issues I read about on the SR9 is nothing more that the gun needing a little break in or learning it's characteristics.

Early on I noticed the SR9 has a stiff initial break from battery when either hand cycling or firing. I disassembled the slide of all components (Barrel and firing pin) and placed it on the frame to see where the problem may be. What I found is the trigger connector ear the rides on the slide has a rather deep indent it sets in when the slide is in the ready fire position. The combination of this deep indent and a strong trigger connector is what creates this stiff initial movement when cycling the slide. This in turn will absorb most of the rounds energy when fired just to break battery. Therefore a limp wrist or lightly loaded reload show these problems (fail to extract, stove pipes and trigger resets when the slide does not retract far enough to eject the spent casing).

It seems today most trigger pulls and designs are done by lawyers to prevent company law suits. The SR9 has a lot going for it. I love everything about it except for the feel of the trigger. I'm hoping Ghost will soon release a lighter connector/spring combo that will help the overall feel of the trigger and reset.

Just for the record...my SR9 after several hundred rounds has exhibited no peening or any other problem to speak of that I could not attribute to the way I was using it.......it's a keeper