Turning Mark IV Tactical with threaded barrel into non-threaded

Help Support Ruger Forum:

aleytman

Bearcat
Hi guys!

I am new to the forum. I hope I can find an answer to the following question: is it possible to cut the barrel off of the threaded version of Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Tactical 22LR Pistol? I live in New York, where threaded barrels are not compliant. However, I really like this pistol, and want to see if the above operation was at all possible.

Thank you all in advance!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

First off,, any good gunsmith can cut & crown a barrel easily enough.

Other options;
Buy a different top end. (But it'd feel different than the factory one.)

Put a permanent sealant on the threads, then have the knurling removed. A lathe can do this easily.

aleytman

Bearcat
Thanks, Contender! Now. I already spoke to a couple of gunsmiths and one dealer here in New York, and they all told me cutting barrel on this particular pistol would ruin it. Is that so? If not, do you think you could refer me to a gunsmith anywhere in the US, who would be able to do this without ruining the gun?

Thank you once again!

hittman

Staff member
Always check your local laws to ensure what you're wanting to do is legal Or will make the gun legal / compliant.

Welcome to the forum. (y)

aleytman

Bearcat
Thanks, hittman! My understanding is, that threaded barrel is what makes it illegal in New York. Once there is no threaded barrel, it should become legal.

NikA

Buckeye
Some 22/45 lightweight uppers utilize a rifled liner/barrel shroud/barrel nut configuration, and I suspect this may be the reason that you are getting the answer you have gotten thus far. In these cases, the threaded section is used to interface with the barrel nut and properly tension the liner. Ruger at one point made a compliant version with a permanently installed nut and no threaded section at the end of the liner, but I expect the "tactical" version is not available in this configuration.

It should be possible to swap parts and end up with what you want. The threads could also be turned off the liner in such a way as they would not extend past the barrel nut. Would it be worth doing so? Probably not, machine and assembly time is expensive and you'd probably have double the price in a minimally customized gun. Could you find someone to do it? Sure, given enough money people are willing to take on any project.

aleytman

Bearcat
Thanks NikA! I am just curious as to by how much the barrel would be shortened if it was cut and cappe. I am also afraid it might mess up the pistol's factory balance and shooting characteristics…

NikA

Buckeye
I took another look at some reviews, and as far as I can tell without holding a sample, this model has a solid barrel. Could easily remove the rails and front sight, chuck the upper up in a lathe, and either turn off the threads or cut the whole threaded section off in a few minutes. Much easier than my recommendation on the other models. I'd guess the charge would be for 1 hour of machine time, ~100$.

Threaded section will be about .4 inches for normal applications of this type. You wouldn't lose any length if the threads were turned down as opposed to cutting and recrowning.

ETA: Adco Firearms is well known for their barrel threading service, you might get in touch with them and see if they will offer an "unthreading" service for a similar price. A bit different since you can't legally own it until the service is performed, but worth a try.

Last edited:

aleytman

Bearcat
Thanks again, NikA! This is the pistol I am referring to. Yes, would prefer not to shorten the barrel, if possible. Now, if I could only find a gunsmith to do this…
B4ED7201-060E-4D82-AC3B-9A2F1BEC25B3.jpeg

Johnnu2

Hunter
Why not send it back to Ruger and ask them to replace the barrel.... they might even do it for free...??

I have that Mk IV 22/45 Lite and mine came with a non-threaded barrel..... because it was sold in NY state.

J.

aleytman

Bearcat
Thanks, Johnnu2! I'll try that as well. However, "Lite" is different from "Tactical". Lite model number is 43921, which is the only unthreaded Lite version, and which you probably have. Current Tactical doesn't come in unthreaded version with Picatinny rail below the barrel. Lite and Tactical are somewhat different pistols…

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
Have you considered getting a standard model 22/45 and having the rails added? It is already drilled and tapped for the top rail. Or does that extra inch of barrel not fit your vision of the gun you want?

Last edited: