Turning Mark IV Tactical with threaded barrel into non-threaded

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief

Single-Sixer
How ironic: A couple years back, I paid a machinist $100 to thread a 22/45 barrel and here's someone who is willing to pay to have threads cut
I don't particularly like or need a threaded barrel on anything. Other folks seem to like them a lot.
Some states hate them. If you are unfortunate enough to live in those states and the gun in question doesn't have an unthreaded option , well hello gunsmith.

aleytman

Bearcat
Hi guys!

Thank you for all your responses and suggestions! I contacted ADCO and their price for either cut&cap or for pin&weld is $30. Now I still need to speak to my local FFL in New York, because guys at ADCO were not 100% sure if pin&weld would be legal in New York State. Pin&weld is my preference for both cosmetic and pistol performance and integrity reasons. I just need to make sure this would be compliant here in NY…

Quick Draw

Bearcat
Hi guys!

I am new to the forum. I hope I can find an answer to the following question: is it possible to cut the barrel off of the threaded version of Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Tactical 22LR Pistol? I live in New York, where threaded barrels are not compliant. However, I really like this pistol, and want to see if the above operation was at all possible.

Thank you all in advance!
You should check out the Volquartsen website. In their clearance section for a MK IV you can buy a 5.5 inch heavy target barrel or a 4.75 inch stubby pencil barrel. For the prices they have I'd buy both of them. I did. You do not receive a bolt but they're easy enough to swap. Shipping is reasonable and fast. Of course with the upper having the serial number it has to ship to a FFL location. Even with all that it's still a great deal and much better than having to cut your original upper. Just a thought.

Reactions: mjh

aleytman

Bearcat
You should check out the Volquartsen website. In their clearance section for a MK IV you can buy a 5.5 inch heavy target barrel or a 4.75 inch stubby pencil barrel. For the prices they have I'd buy both of them. I did. You do not receive a bolt but they're easy enough to swap. Shipping is reasonable and fast. Of course with the upper having the serial number it has to ship to a FFL location. Even with all that it's still a great deal and much better than having to cut your original upper. Just a thought.

aleytman

Bearcat
Thanks Quick Draw!

I checked out the site. These uppers are $414 plus shipping and FFL fees. Considering that the new pistol is a bit over $400, $414 upper seems somewhat extravagant. What do you think?

Thanks Quick Draw!

I checked out the site. These uppers are $414 plus shipping and FFL fees. Considering that the new pistol is a bit over $400, $414 upper seems somewhat extravagant. What do you think?
Did you find the clearance page for the Ruger take offs? Looks like as low as $40.
The Vqs are $414. Good luck.
Jerry

Quick Draw

Bearcat
Thanks Quick Draw!

Go to the clearance page. Heavy target barrel $40.00, stubby pencil barrel $35.00. I think I paid $15.00 for shipping and $20.00 for FFL. One of the better deals I've seen in a long time.

Latest posts