Tulsa Pocket Watches - Part 2...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boge Quinn

Single-Sixer
1918 Hamilton 992 Railroad Grade watch, in perfect mint condition. The 992 was Hamilton's signature Railroad Grade watch, and was one of the finest mechanical timepieces ever made - IMO very few watches compare: Elgin's B.W. Raymond, Veritas and Father Time models, the Hamilton Ball model, and maybe Illinois' Bunn Special for example.

This one caught my eye immediately because of the condition and the beautiful ornate case with an engraved locomotive on the back - it's unusual to find a Railroad watch in a fancy case, as most RR employees spent their money on the movement and not the case. Another unusual feature of the case I found when I asked to see the movement - I screwed-off the back of the case, and it has a dust cover (extra gold plate covering the movement) inside! Dust covers are commonly found on Hunter cases, and it's unusual for a Railroad case. The dial is perfect also, so I wasn't surprised to find the movement to be extremely clean and running perfectly.

The dealer had several nice watches on his table, and offered me a GREAT package deal on this watch and a Hamilton 4992B 24-hour military pocket watch, but I already have a 4992B and his wasn't running, so I passed on the pair. He had $350 on this one, which is CHEAP for a watch of this quality, vintage and condition (it's worth a cool grand), but I got him down to $225.

When I told Jeff that this watch was THE deal of the show, he said "I know - I was going to buy it if you passed".

Smartass. He doesn't appreciate a good watch, his $10 Timex suits him fine. Some people have no style.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

G2

Hunter
BQ,

Nice and thanks for sharing,
I know nothing about pocket watches and appreciate your "school'in". :D

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Very handsome watch you got there Boge!

I don't know much about them, but I just started reading Clive Cussler's new book The Wrecker (sequel to last year's The Chase) which both take place in 1906 and 1907 and involve the railroads of the day very heavily.

There is mention of those styles of watches and why it was so imperative that the railroad men have them for their accuracy. The books are pretty neat because of the dawn of the automobile, motorcycle, and especially semi-automatic firearms.

If you're into old railroad stuff, Cussler is always a good read, but these books are even more interesting.

Ya gotta love it when the hero carries a "newfangled" 1903 Colt:

Colt001.jpg

-Steve