Tulsa Pocket Watches - Part 1...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boge Quinn

Single-Sixer
1924 Elgin B.W. Raymond pocket watch. The B.W. Raymond was Elgin's signature Railroad Grade watch. This example was Grade 472, one of a run of 1000 made in 1924, the first 16-size lot made with a "swan-neck" (J-shaped) regulator - see the last picture.

This watch has a BEAUTIFUL Montgomery dial. Henry S. Montgomery was the General Watch and Clock Inspector of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (AT&SF) from 1896 to 1923. During the first decade of the twentieth century he patented a marginal minute dial that had three distinctive features. First, the marginal minute numbers were all upright, as opposed to radial numbers which were used on other dial designs. Second, the five minute numbers were slightly larger than the other minute numbers (frequently, as on this example, the five minute numbers are red, whereas the remainder are black). Finally, the sixth hour figure is included, contained within the sub-seconds dial. This sixth hour figure is generally unusual amongst pocket watch dials. The dial on this watch is perfect, and indeed the entire watch is in exceptionally fine condition, and is keeping perfect time.

I bought it off a guy who was carrying around a bunch of watches in a backpack with a sign that read "Watches for Sale", so I collared him and found an empty table. He had several Rolex and such, a few solid gold-cased pocket watches with 7-to-15 jewel movements, and three Railroad Grade pocket watches, two Hamiltons and this one - as much as I love Hamiltons, the perfect Montgomery dial really got me going. Guy was asking $425, which was reasonable, but I got him down to $300.

I bought two sixguns and this watch on Friday, and the show didn't even start until Saturday!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg