Trying to understand Ruger's pistols

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I am not well acquainted with many of Ruger's 9mm pistols. Looking over their line up I see three pistols that have a similar look and the exact same price ($579). They are:

Ruger American
SR Series
Security 9

Are there significant differences in these, and if not, why have three different series that do about the same thing?

Mike J

Hunter
You could do a search here on each of them & find many comments discussing the different platforms strengths & weaknesses. Of the 3 my preference would be the American.

I don't care for the magazine disconnect safety on the SR series. Many people do like those pistols though-particularly the SR9c.

I would expect a Security 9 to work fine but the way it is made just reminds me too much of the old Kel-Tec pistols.

As far as MSRP Rugers usually sell for less than that. Unless it has changed Buds Gunshop online had the full sized American 9mm for $279 the other day.

SteelBlue said:
I am not well acquainted with many of Ruger's 9mm pistols. Looking over their line up I see three pistols that have a similar look and the exact same price ($579). They are:

Ruger American
SR Series
Security 9

Are there significant differences in these, and if not, why have three different series that do about the same thing?
You must be looking at the more expensive model Security 9 with nite sights, the standard model list price is $379.00 and it is a nice pistol for the cost you end up paying, i have purchased a couple for under $300.00 and used are usually $250.00.

You should try them and decide which you like best....

hittman

Staff member
I think those MSRPs are about right on SOME of the guns but many are in the under-$400 range too.

And there's no prices listed for the SR series since they're only produced for "exclusive" distributors.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Price aside, why have three lines of pistols that all look about the same and cost roughy the same money? There's not enough info in the product description for anyone to determine which is best for them. Here they are, all three:

3guns.jpg

hittman

Staff member
You're seeing 3 "generations" of Ruger pistols. Ruger is moving fast the past 10 years or so.

The SR series is discontinued for regular production. The Security 9 series was next and American is the most recent.

You just gotta do your own research, ask on forums like you're doing here, rent one at your local gun range or fondle them at the store.

Many here rave about the SR series. Only 9MM SR I have is a Lightweight Commander SR1911 and I do HIGHLY recommend that. It's the only full size 9MM I own. In the past I did have a P95 which was ok and a CZ75 which is likely (for me anyways) the best full size 9MM you can buy.

If you're looking for a full size 9MM polymer gun you can't hardly go wrong with these in the $300.00 range ..... just know you're not buying a CZ or a Sig for that price point.

Mike J

Hunter
The SR series came first. They were Rugers first attempt at entering the striker fired pistol market. Some people liked them. Some like me disliked them because they had so many lawyer safeties.

The American Pistol was designed to meet the protocols the military sat when they were holding handgun trials some years back. Ruger decided not to enter the competition though.

The SR series was discontinued but survives because distributors are ordering them from Ruger.

The Security 9 was designed to be an inexpensive, light easy to carry pistol.

I believe sometimes Ruger sells slightly different products that are similar in an attempt to capture different market segments.

gc70

Bearcat
The SR-series pistols came first starting in 2007. They were Ruger's striker-fired replacement for the previous P-series lines of pistols. The SR-series was apparently discontinued as a regular Ruger production line in 2018, but models have subsequently been produced for specific distributors.

The American pistols were reportedly designed for the military pistol trials. Ruger did not enter the pistols in the military trials and they were introduced in the commercial market in 2015. The American pistols are often considered to be more robustly designed than the SR-series pistols.

The Security 9 pistols, with an internal hammer-fired design, were introduced in 2017. Those pistols are generally recognized as an economy line that parallels economy models in other Ruger lines.

Here is my take on what happened:

The SR-series was a profitable line, but Ruger couldn't resist designing a pistol for the military trials. When the prospect of a military contract did not work out, Ruger had two fairly similar lines of pistols with similar price points. Awkward! Even worse, the new American pistols apparently did not sell very well. Finally, Ruger had already begun moving other lines to an economy model, which was embodied in the new Security 9 pistols.

By the end of 2017, Ruger had a slow-selling American premium line, an old SR-series premium line, and a new Security 9 economy line. The SR-series was discontinued, leaving one premium line and one discount line. Things went a little sideways when the American pistols were heavily discounted by some sellers, even to the point of approaching the prices for the Security 9. Things went further sideways when Ruger resumed making the SR-series as Distributor Exclusives and the distributor priced the pistols in the same range as the discounted Americans or the Security 9. In short, you can now buy pistols from any of the three lines for around $300 or less. That has to be a marketing nightmare for Ruger, competing against themselves.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Thanks to all of you for some excellent historical recap and an explanation of the three lines of pistols! To me, the SR is the cleanest looking, and would be the one I would buy out of the three.

hittman

Staff member
I see them on GunBroker bringing $350 new.

One guy has a new in box SR45 for $350. I'm guessing maybe the ones with the stainless slide may bring more but don't know. Only looked them up because of this thread.

mac66

Single-Sixer
hittman said:

One guy has a new in box SR45 for $350. I'm guessing maybe the ones with the stainless slide may bring more but don't know. Only looked them up because of this thread.

SRs have been at Sportsmans Warehouse and other places in all calibers recently for $249.99.

Mike J

Hunter
mac66 said:
hittman said:

SRs have been at Sportsmans Warehouse and other places in all calibers recently for $249.99.

They have been less lately but now the panic is upon us again. Ammunition if harder to find & prices are rising. I just did a quick search at gun.deals. The best price I saw on the SR9 was about $350. The best price I saw on the SR9C was 299.99. I didn't dig deep enough to check into the shipping cost.

gc70

Bearcat
Ruger American and SR9 pistols have been available for $299 at CDNN for many months. I just checked the CDNN website and the prices have been bumped to $339 or $349.