Trying out my new lens Nikon 500MM F8

Help Support Ruger Forum:

street

Hunter
I just got a new, "for me", lens from E-bay to go with my Nikon D700 camera. The lens is a Mirror, or Reflex as Nikon calls it. It's a 500MM-F8, which makes it about 10 power. Here are some pictures that I took with it.

The first 2 pictures were taken about 75 to 100 yards away.

385254372.jpg

385254375.jpg

This picture was taken about 50 yards away.

385254371.jpg

The Cardinal was taken about 25 to 30 feet away.

385254370.jpg

The next two pictures were taken about 20 feet.

385254368.jpg

385254367.jpg

street

Hunter
Cracker-American":328knjou said:
Stunning work.

Were you shooting manual or were those auto focus? I ask because of the clarity of the running deer.

Everything was shot in manual mode. This lens does not have auto focus, and being a mirror lens it has a fixed focal length "F8" I set the shutter at 1/1000 sec. and a fixed F8, I let the camera adjust the ISO for proper exposer. With this lens you have to shoot in manual or shutter priority because there is no AIs connection on the lens for the meter.

One of the bad things about this lens is the focus is very critical, and just the smallest amout of movement will take it out of focus, and as I said it's manual only, no auto focus. As for the running deer I made 3 shots at her and the last one she was in focus. Talk about luck. "EVEN A BLIND PIG CAN FIND AN ACORN SOMETIME. Trying to take a picture of something moving with this lens is like trying to shoot a running deer with a pistol. Next to impossible, you just need a lot of luck.

Nikon does make a 500mm lens with auto focus and full auto mode but it cost about $8000.00. As I paid $200.00 plus shipping for my lens, used, I can manually adjust the focus and exposer for the difference in price. This lens is only about 7 1/2 in. long and is very easy to carry.

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
Ah, a mirror lense. That makes sense, or at least explains some of the image artifacts (background distortions).

I have a Celestron C90 (original orange tube) that on my old 35mm's worked out to a 1000mm F/8. It's a Maksutov-Cassegrain style telescope/spotting scope that can be used with a camera adapter to take photos (celestial or terrestrial). It works ok but the out of focus background mirror circle artifact distortion thingies drive me crazy.

Good glass isn't cheap though and sometimes you got work with what you can get. I really like some of the higher end F/2.8 long glass but man, talk about expensive. At least the mirror allows the folding of the lense so it's half as long. Much easier to manage.

street

Hunter
Turbobuddha":3g361tck said:
Ah, a mirror lense. That makes sense, or at least explains some of the image artifacts (background distortions).

I have a Celestron C90 (original orange tube) that on my old 35mm's worked out to a 1000mm F/8. It's a Maksutov-Cassegrain style telescope/spotting scope that can be used with a camera adapter to take photos (celestial or terrestrial). It works ok but the out of focus background mirror circle artifact distortion thingies drive me crazy.

Good glass isn't cheap though and sometimes you got work with what you can get. I really like some of the higher end F/2.8 long glass but man, talk about expensive. At least the mirror allows the folding of the lense so it's half as long. Much easier to manage.

I have a 80-200mm F 2.8 ED, AF-S VR. Nikon lens. I think it is one of the best zoom lens that Nikon makes. It takes very sharp pictures, and the silent wave focus motor is very fast to focus and very quiet. This lens is costly enough, anything with a focal length above 300mm at F 2.8 is like buying an Engraved Single-Six. Sigma makes a 200-500mm F/2.8 for only $28,999.00. I guess you could buy at least 3 consecutive Engraved Single-Sixes for that and have some money left over.

street

Hunter
kd4rgwml":toa0rlto said:
Beautiful pictures Street are you very close to the river?

About 2 to 3 miles from the Roanoke river. I live just outside the Vinton town limits.