troubleshooting a p95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Xelera

Bearcat
A friend just got a new P95 (15 round mag model) and took it shooting for the first time today.

He initially had a problem getting his ammo to feed. He said he had to manually feed each round by guiding it in. He tried both mags and said the problem mostly cleared up when he changed ammo.

The bigger problem, is that once he got past that, he ran into issues where the slide cycles after firing the round, chambered the next round, but then it would not fire the next round. The trigger felt as if the gun was de-c0cked, and he could pull it all the way back effortlessly. The hammer was not indicating c0cked. Once he manually pulled the hammer back, he could fire it but then the whole fail to fire/fail to cock issue was present again.

It's brand new, and he tried maybe 25 rounds total.

Any ideas?

Xelera

Bearcat
He's the only one that shot it, and i'll make some witty comment to him about limp wrist...

I thought limp wristing resulted in fail to ejects and jams, but if the slide cycled, it should still cock it right?

Also, he's shot my P89 with no issues, a friends XDm 9mm, a S&W .40 and a few other guns that some of our co-workers own, without issue.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
It's George Bush's fault.

OOPS, wrong section.
But seriously folks, don't forget to tip your waitress'.

Did either of you field strip it and have a look at the spring rod assembly? Was the gun properly cleaned & lubed prior to shooting it?

Xelera

Bearcat
I haven't touched/seen it yet.

I asked him and he said he didn't clean it first, and it still had the factory grease on the slide.

Funny thing is, I've searched this site and google/yahoo'd it for the last 3 hours and can't find anything besides fail to ejects, fail to fire (mostly ammo related) but nothing on failure to cock.

If a magazine was seating wrong (too far in/out) could that prevent it from cocking?

clean and lube and it should work fine regardless of ammo or how he inserts a mag .... it should be really hard to limp wrist a P95.... my sister in law from D.C. did it, but I've never been able too with any 3 of mine.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
I had that exact problem with my mark II 22/45. It turned out the problem was a small piece on the end of the recoil spring was bent, which caused the a huge amount of friction in the first 1/2" of bolt travel. The gun would fire, and cycle in a new round, but would not cock the hammer, so I had to cycle the bolt again before I could fire another round (ejecting the new un-fired round). I found the problem by removing the bolt stop pin and moving the bolt back and forth without any spring pressure. Only then could I feel the extra resistance in the first 1/2" of travel.

What I'm basically saying is, lube the slide...

Also, Re: limp wristing a P 95. I have never had a problem with it, but my wife does it every time we go out, has has FTE stovepipes until I remind her to tighten her grip...

Mr_banjo2

Bearcat
I put another 50rnds through my p95 and had the worse issues to date.
That was box 250-300 and its only getting worse it seems,

This was Independance ammo, the gun was quite dirty after those rnds but it shouldnt mess up that quick. Had failure to eject (Stove pipe) fail to feed, sometimes ejecting the round but not even trying to feed the next one, other times it would stick when loading into the chamber. The gun was clean before use,.

Is it nessecery to lube the gun before shooting if its been sat for a few weeks after being put away clean, or should you clean n lube right before you shoot?

Im fed up with these issues but i dont want to send it in untill i can confirm its a lemon, Shoulnt it be getting more reliable to more rnds i put through it.

gonna re lube it Thursday and put another 50 at least through it.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
Mr_banjo2":3k6kupuc said:
I put another 50rnds through my p95 and had the worse issues to date.
That was box 250-300 and its only getting worse it seems,

This was Independance ammo, the gun was quite dirty after those rnds but it shouldnt mess up that quick. Had failure to eject (Stove pipe) fail to feed, sometimes ejecting the round but not even trying to feed the next one, other times it would stick when loading into the chamber. The gun was clean before use,.

Is it nessecery to lube the gun before shooting if its been sat for a few weeks after being put away clean, or should you clean n lube right before you shoot?

Im fed up with these issues but i dont want to send it in untill i can confirm its a lemon, Shoulnt it be getting more reliable to more rnds i put through it.

gonna re lube it Thursday and put another 50 at least through it.

Man, sounds borked if you ask me... I'd be calling Ruger...

A

Anonymous

I had trouble with my p95 in the beginning but after a fix-it-up with ruger it works like a champ. Either a good cleaning/re-oil or a trip back to ruger is needed? 8)

Mr_banjo2

Bearcat
I watched the how to clean and lube video on rugers website, about the p95. Thats how im cleaning it. Some lube on the slide rails. and thats about it.

Should the chamber ramp be oiled up, How much oil should be on the rails. I thought you shouldnt over oil it. im wondering if im not giving it enough lube?

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Myself I use Gunslick on the slide rails. Do not oil the feed ramp.

After seeing the ejector on your P95 I believe that is causing most of your issues.

I suggest getting it fixed before the gun frustrates you to the point that you give it away.

tk

jbender

Bearcat
everyone says all ammo works in a p95, i agree, however the first 50 rds through my p95 was independence ammo. Granted it was the first 50 through the gun and i hadnt yet been to this forum to know to clean a brand new gun. I had those same problem with independence ammo with the first 50 AND the 50 i shot the other day. Before i shot the most recent box of independence there were about 500 rds through my p95 and other than the first 70 - 80 rds (50 being independence) i havent had any issues. All of that said the independence ammo i shot the other day jammed every three or four rounds. fails to feed, fails to eject, etc. Im not ruling out that there is a problem with your gun because i have seen the pictures of the ejector but i personally cant stand independence ammo.

Mr_banjo2

Bearcat
Thanks jbender, thats good to know!

so far ive put magtech, pmc and independance through this gun.

The pmc seemed most reliable for me, maybe im just trying to break it in using crud ammo, the damn stuffs hard to come by. I hate to buy online because its so much more expensive with shipping.

Xelera

Bearcat
He sent it back to Ruger. They had to replace the ejector and repair the trigger bar. He's out the shipping, but his gun works now.

Interestingly, they sent it back directly to his house, no FFL involved. Didn't know they could do that.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
Xelera":10l5v3yb said:
He sent it back to Ruger. They had to replace the ejector and repair the trigger bar. He's out the shipping, but his gun works now.

Interestingly, they sent it back directly to his house, no FFL involved. Didn't know they could do that.

I was concerned if I ever had an issue & needed to send back to Ruger that I'd also need to get an FFL involved.... I was told no, as there is no actual
"transfer" involved....

Mr_banjo2

Bearcat
Hey guys, just thought id let you know...

I recently put a hogue handall grip on my p95, and i put about 70 rnds through it yesterday and it was flawless. The new grip helped a lot, the wife was able to shoot too with no issues,

Just thought id post my findings to balance out all the problems i posted about having.

WOOHOO!!!!!

I wouldn't put anything on the feed ramp. About any type of oil short of 30w motor oil will work on the rails. CLP works ok. I lube the recoilspring/rod, barrel link, and rails lightly-not dripping or running. Once in a while I put a drop of RemOil on the trigger pivot, hammer pivot, and ejector pin. The Independence ammo is very dirty and will gunk up any pistol quickly.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Anyone who hasn't used gunslick don't know what a wonderful product it is.

Been around since I was a kid and has made every gun I own work well.

My P95 works better with it than it will without it.

tk