Trouble removing Blackhawk mainspring from gripframe.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Been working for years with my Single Sixes, Super Blackhawk and recently a New Bearcat. Take em apart, deburr, polish, etc. with no problems. But recently got a new .357 BH and have the hardest time getting the mainspring out of the frame. Seems too long, even when pinned with the largest diameter spring compressing pin that fits. Neither direction seems better than the other. Tried hammer in different positions and releasing the trigger return springs, but still seems necessary to flex the mainspring strut, which goes against my grain. Is there a trick? Thanks so much, Don

flatgate

Hawkeye
Yeah, "remove the grip frame". I've NEVER been able to remove a stock, original Ruger mainspring without removing the 5 grip frame screws....

Now, I know some guns permit this and one can also make a small "Dremel tool cut" to make this happen....

If I want to remove a mainspring and strut from a gun then I'll pull the grip frame.

JMHO,

flatgate

same here, we have gotten by without having to remove, I HATE removing and putting back on , new model grames..............wiggle and maybe a push with the needle nose pliers has done the job........
I see MORE harm ( damage) done to perfectly good frames from back yard gunplumbers, screwing and unscrewing screws and with the wrong tool and too much of a hurry..............nothing is more unsightly than "boogered screw slots"............just MY .02 cents

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
rugerguy":2dz2bozp said:
same here, we have gotten by without having to remove, I HATE removing and putting back on , new model grames..............wiggle and maybe a push with the needle nose pliers has done the job........
I see MORE harm ( damage) done to perfectly good frames from back yard gunplumbers, screwing and unscrewing screws and with the wrong tool and too much of a hurry..............nothing is more unsightly than "boogered screw slots"............just MY .02 cents
Agreed. Especially when the factory screws are often installed by an 800lb gorilla with an pneumatic wrench, or so it seems sometimes.

-- Sam

cas6969

Buckeye
Sometime you have to help the spring shoe up and over the frame, one side at a time with a screwdriver.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
I have to go with Ruger guy, When I was converting and polishing, and all of that other stuff, I looked at my screws and realized that I would never be able to fully restore them, so I just ordered new ones for the final assembly.

Denny

Single-Sixer
I am by no means a gunsmith however I have "tinkered" with the Ruger Single Action for a number of years and found that you can bend the mainspring guide trying to force it out. I have always taken the 5 screws out to get to the mainspring. Normally if some is doing this they need to detail clean the weapon or some other maintenance issue needs resolved. Just some advice but the gate dent spring tool from Brownells to assist in removing your trigger pin. I had a friend bring over his Ruger and he had a nice deep ding from using a screw driver and a lot of force.