Trigger Rub....Normal??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TexasAggie

Bearcat
On my new SP101, there is a trigger rub mark where the trigger is pulled. It's on the right side, as seen here. Nothing on the left side, so there's obviously some tight variances. Is this "normal", or should I call Ruger for a fix?? Grrrrrrrr :x

TexasAggieProud
030.jpg
[/url]

conder0289

Single-Sixer
Not needed to return to Ruger, if your gun handy, disassemble it and lightly stone the inside of the trigger slot and hand buff out the scuff on the trigger on a flat felt pad with a little polishing compound, not a dremel.

If its Stainless Steel not a problem, if Blued, a dap of touch up on the trigger will blend in, just follow the directions on cleaning and application.

conder0289

Single-Sixer
Various types of stones are available for gun work (Check Brownell's)

Choose a fine grit flat stone that will fit the slot and lightly rub the inside of the slot, the marks on the trigger are most likely coming from a burr or metal grit lodged in the slot.

Most stock Ruger frames are kind of rough on the inside and a little stoning or polishing inside will only improve the action, just go slow and easy in doing this, you can remove metal but you can't put in back, so check periodically the fit and action before you continue to stone things down.....

Stephen

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
Quite often ANY assembly line production item, (gun or otherwise,) has looser tolerances than any custom made product. As such, you can have parts rub together like shown above. Not a huge issue.
As mentioned, do a simple field stripping, (you do have the manuel don't you? If not Ruger will send one for free.)
Then, look inside the frame in the area where the trigger goes. We call this the trigger slot.
On the inside, especially the sides of the slot, you may find some small burrs of metal sticking out. It might require magnification to see. The act of "stoning" that area means to polish those little burrs away. VERY small amounts are all that is usually necessary. As mentioned above, go slow & check the job often until it's stopped.
I hope this helps!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Rub marks are very common on the trigger and hammer. Polishing the rubs would be part of slicking the gun up. In an ideal world there wouldn't be any but most guns aren't perfect. :D

...Jimbo

G. Freeman

Bearcat
Your pic looks completely normal. The only mod I gave to my 2 GP's is an 8# trigg return spring. I just never had the nerve to polish the internals, but that's just me. I ruined a few of my 1911's many years ago using my Dremel and I've avoided it since.