Trigger return Spring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
As everyone probably knows, lifting one side of the spring off of the post seems to improve the trigger pull quite a bit. I have replaced the spring with a lighter on on several of my blackhawks. I have a few that I have not replaced. Is there any harm done by doing the poor boy trigger job?

I would have to say "no" as the unevenness or putting pressure off to one side or the other is being done "behind" the 'pivot pin.....thereby 'lessening' the overall pressure....I just prefer to make a slight bend in BOTH legs and accomplish the same thing, you learn in time, just "How much" of a bend actually works...........

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I've done the PB trigger mod to all my Ruger SAs, currently have four. Recently I ran into a light strike issue on one gun that I blame on interference between the unhooked trigger leg and the mainspring. It's one of the new mid frame BHs with the lock and shorter, lighter (17lb vs 23lb) mainspring, and I think the reduced power spring is the culprit.

I figure if it can happen there the other guns are probably borderline, so I'm just going to buy some lighter weight trigger springs.

-- Sam

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I've learned to bend the trigger return spring like this...
gunsmithingpics031.jpg

It will reduce the trigger pull, as will a good honing/smoothing job on the internals....

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Is there any benefit to buying the "reduced pressure" Wolff trigger springs? They offer both a 30 and 40oz, but don't give the weight of the stock unit.

There are a couple of comments on Midway from people who've used them and had no measurable difference in pull weight. I'm sure there are thousands who have used them and are satisfied, too.

Just wondering if it's worth paying $8/ea vs. $2/ea for the stock units, which I would then bend to get the appropriate effective pull weight. What can I say, I'm cheap.

-- Sam

flatgate

Hawkeye
I bend and not buy trigger springs for my New Models.

JMHO,

flatgate

PS Ruffbird's image shows the desired result. Too MUCH of a bend and the
spring will get caught up in the mainspring and get "derailed" off of the retainer pin....... :roll:

flatgate