Trigger Reach GP100 vs. S&W 66

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hebraist

Bearcat
New member here. I am trying to decide between the GP100 and the S&W 66 for a new purchase. One of my main criteria, having smaller hands, is trigger reach. Would someone who has both comment on how the reach compares? Thanks in advance!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

It's been a while since I handled & shot a S&W 66 but I'll try & offer a few thoughts.
Trigger reach is a subjective issue.
Both models can come with different sized or shaped grips,, which can affect the trigger reach.
And both models can easily have grips swapped out for a set that fits YOUR hands better.
When I teach,, I use 3 identical handguns,, where the only difference is the grips. Each person's hands are different enough to where often it's easy for a student to find a gun that fits & feels the best over the other 2 guns.
So, to kinda answer your question,, it'll depend upon what grips are on the gun of choice as to how you reach the trigger. BUT,, grips are easily swapped for better fitting ones,, so I'd not judge a gun by that alone.
The S&W can come with smaller, grips, or the larger "target grips." The Ruger can come with a plain set or the Match Champion style. All these are factory.

If possible,, try handling the same model of gun with different grips. And also,, try to make sure that when you try 2 guns,, that the barrel length is the same. Balance comes into play when a shorter barrel is handled, vs a longer barrel, and that also affects the "feel" in the hands.

If you are near WNC,, I can offer to let you try that.

Hebraist

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum!

It's been a while since I handled & shot a S&W 66 but I'll try & offer a few thoughts.
Trigger reach is a subjective issue.
Both models can come with different sized or shaped grips,, which can affect the trigger reach.
And both models can easily have grips swapped out for a set that fits YOUR hands better.
When I teach,, I use 3 identical handguns,, where the only difference is the grips. Each person's hands are different enough to where often it's easy for a student to find a gun that fits & feels the best over the other 2 guns.
So, to kinda answer your question,, it'll depend upon what grips are on the gun of choice as to how you reach the trigger. BUT,, grips are easily swapped for better fitting ones,, so I'd not judge a gun by that alone.
The S&W can come with smaller, grips, or the larger "target grips." The Ruger can come with a plain set or the Match Champion style. All these are factory.

If possible,, try handling the same model of gun with different grips. And also,, try to make sure that when you try 2 guns,, that the barrel length is the same. Balance comes into play when a shorter barrel is handled, vs a longer barrel, and that also affects the "feel" in the hands.

If you are near WNC,, I can offer to let you try that.
Good thoughts. Thank you. I'd love to visit WNC (Western North Carolina?) but with the price of gas, this Hoosier could almost buy one of the two!

Thel

Blackhawk
Grips can be changed and can vary in width, length, circumference and shape. The GP100 uses a grip stud which does allow more latitude in the design of the grip.

gunzo

Buckeye
I to struggles with reaching the trigger well on some pistols or with some grips.

The original GP grip gave my trigger finger reach a break but otherwise liked the special Hogue grip on my Match Champion for other reasons. So, I reduced the top of the Hogue for better trigger finger reach.

But, did like my like my Smith 66 better? I recently changed grips on it. Haven't done the side by side yet. But it's all a journey. And both work & should serve.

Thel

Blackhawk
Gunzo's post jarred my memory. Some aftermarket grip manufacturers will make a grip to fit your hand.
One sends them a tracing of the outline of his shooting hand. Hogue and Herrett are two that come to mind.

wproct

Single-Sixer
Well, the two examples that I currently own is a Smith & Wesson model 64-2 in 2 inch bbl length with combat grips, and a Ruger GP100 with a 5 inch bbl. I suggest that you try both, as I feel that the trigger reach is very similar. However, when you try a GP100 it would be nice if you could try the older Lett's style rubber grip with wood inserts, and preferable in the compact size if you have smaller hands. Because the Lett's style grip gives a closer trigger reach than the stock Hogue rubber grips, that has been my experience anyway.

Hebraist

Bearcat
I purchased the 2.5 Talo edition last week. The trigger reach seems perfect, and I couldn't be happier!