Trigger job- who should do it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

S391

Bearcat
Often times there are certain shops that are known for working on a specific model / brand of firearm and they are considered the "go to" shop for those who own / shoot that type / brand of gun. Is there such a shop / gunsmith for Ruger pistols?

I want to have the trigger on the SR9 cleaned up / lightened but I have no idea who to send it to.

Thanks in advance.

DGW1949

Hunter
You can take this as a FWIW from a long-time gun tinkerer....
As a general rule, I'm very reluctant to tamper with the fire-control parts on a striker-fired pistol.
Reason is, I've seen way too many AD's from that particular design to think anything other than "If it aint broke, don't fix it".

On the other hand, I've never looked inside an SR9....So I might be talking out of my hat here.

Stay safe.
DGW

Pinecone

Blackhawk
S391, I have not been "inside" the Ruger SR9 as yet, but looking at the schematic, it is very much engineered (the firing pin retracts and is held by a trigger bar/sear arangement) like other (Browning, Colt, Mauser, Ortgies, etc.) pocket pistols I have worked on in the past and I can see some areas where "improvements" could be made to the firing system. "HOWEVER", finding a gunsmith who is familiar with and "competent" to work on striker fired pistols might be difficult! I doubt that many gunsmiths have been inside one as yet, but as I said, the "right" gunsmith could work this pistol. I would inquire around your local area first to see if "that" person might be available. As mentioned above, "SAFETY FIRST"!........................Dick

Pinecone

Blackhawk
S391, As far as I know, Ruger or any other manufacturer, offers only repairs to return a firearm to proper function, and recall type modifications, or issues of safety. Tune-ups would be a function of trade gunsmiths.................Dick

S391

Bearcat
Pinecone":20oc0zsq said:
S391, As far as I know, Ruger or any other manufacturer, offers only repairs to return a firearm to proper function, and recall type modifications, or issues of safety. Tune-ups would be a function of trade gunsmiths.................Dick

Smith & Wesson offer full gunsmith / tune up services so I was hoping that Ruger might as well.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Check out http://www.springerprecision.com/

I had him work over the trigger on my SR9 before the recall. He does not list the SR9 work. But call and see if he still does. I would think so as the trigger internals have not changed. Basically he knows what to to polish to smooth things out. It was not a huge improvement on my trigger but a noticeable difference. Now he might of figured out a few more tricks to get better results. Great guy to work with fast turn around time. If you ever need work done on a XD all I can say is his XD trigger work is simply amazing.

MrShoeBoy

Bearcat
Sorry, cant help you on where to send it in. I was just at a small local gunsmith/shop and asked him about the SR9 and trigger work. He was an older guy and imediatly jumped back and said "it should get better the more you shoot" then said "if its not broken dont fix it." He wasnt thrilled in the slightest about working on a striker fired pistol.

If you like to take things apart and tinker check this out: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=43695

Dont know that I fully agree with cutting the spring as mentioned, but if you read through the entire thread, there are pics of the gun apart and areas that could be polished to lighten the trigger. I eventually will try this but I dont have the time or energy to play with it.

AARON

A

Anonymous

I had the local gunsmith, Stephen H. Graham (Arkansas City, KS) clean and reduce the trigger pull of my Ruger SR9 by about 3 pounds. Definite improvement. If interested, call him at 620-442-5305 or <[email protected]> Although he specializes in Sigs, he can work wonders on about any make/model. Most importantly, he is honest and his prices are very reasonable. Akhenaton

Latest posts