Trigger Hitch in Ruger SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I have been working on a brand new SP101 w/2.25 Inch Barrel, in 357 Magnum. (New Style Hammer)
Polishing all the right parts
10 Pound Hammer Spring
8 Pound Rebound Spring
Full Shim Package, Hammer, Trigger, and Hammer Dog

I noticed when working on it that the Transfer Bar did not swing freely. You could move it back and forth, but NOT Free Swinging at all. It seemed to loosen up a little as you started moving the Trigger, with the Trigger Assembly out of the Frame.

After having it apart about 5 times, I am about sure the Transfer Bar had something to do with the Hitch.
I noticed when installing the Trigger Assembly back into the Frame that the Transfer Bar Nose would hit on the right side of the Hammer Tunnel and stop upward progress of the assembly, and I would need to push it Left with a small screwdriver to clean it and get the Trigger Assembly to move on into place. (Not Forced, just nudged over)

I finally noticed that the Transfer Bar was moving up the Hammer Tunnel against the front face, and looked to Bump Off the bottom of the Firing Pin at the same time I felt the Hitch.

I polished the nose of the Transfer Bar, along with the Stud, and Sides. This seemed to help the Hitch, but it still is not gone. The Transfer Bar is still not swinging Free either.

Where the Transfer Bar is dragging in the Trigger Assembly is not obvious. I removed the Trigger Shims, and that had no impact on the drag.
The Transfer Bar Stud seems to turn freely in the Hole.
I am a little gun shy removing much material off the Transfer Bar Sides, Trigger Housing, etc. without Divine Guideance from someone who knows more than I do.

I will continue to look things over till I hear back on this post, and see if I have a Bur in the Trigger Housing I may have missed.

I know that the Ruger Trigger Hitch is very common. It also looks like the Transfer Bar Bumping Off the Firing Pin is probably what is causing the hitch to be felt.
What is the process to cure the Trigger Hitch?

Bob R

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Sounds like you might have a transfer bar pinch. The transfer bar can be thinned or replaced to get rid of the pinch.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/Transferbar.html

GP100man

Buckeye
Make sure there`s no burr in the trigger hole the TB sits in , it should swing freely & rattle around a bit. I`ve seen this on 1 GP, I took a snug fitting drill bit & used fine valve lappin compound on the shank & polished it out a bit.

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
The description does not refer to pinching the transfer bar by the hammer. If the bar moves freely when the trigger assembly is out of the gun, but is bound up as soon as you re-install the trigger assembly, then look at the inside surfaces of the frame where the bar rides. There may be hunks of casting flash - those inside surfaces have to be flat and smooth. How about a photo of the transfer bar and one looking down into the frame - hammer removed.

-CU

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I had it back apart again last night.
The Transfer Bar is getting better with more polishing. With the trigger assembly Out and assembled, the Transfer Bar still does not swing free at rest. However when I start pulling the trigger back it loosens up pretty well to normal with very little movement. It is getting better.

It looks like the Transfer Bar rides on the Right side of the frame a little when the trigger assembly is reinstalled in the frame. The inside of the frame looks ok. I have polished on it some already. I may need to polish a little more on the right side of the Transfer Barr to cure this.

Bob

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Bob R said:
With the trigger assembly Out and assembled, the Transfer Bar still does not swing free at rest.
You are saying that the transfer bar does not move back and forth smoothly when the trigger group is out on the bench? How can it not? The t.b. pivot is a loose fit into the trigger and will fall out at a moment's notice. Your description is still quite confusing. It is not a common issue at all.

Unless there is an obvious casting flaw on the t.b., a little smoothing with 600 paper is all you should do. Once installed in the gun with a cocked hammer, the t.b. will be completely loose and rattle back and forth.

-CU

Flash

Buckeye
It might not be on the transfer bar at all, there could be an edge on the firing pin. The firing pin has a radius ground on it's rear face and the radius has to start somewhere so if it's edge is exposed, the transfer bar will hit it on it's way up. My SP firing pins are all at different depths. Not by much but all different. I can see where the radius ends on two of them but this isn't a problem with me.