Trigger for 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I'm shopping a new drop in trigger assembly for my 30 year old 10/22. Seems BX seems like a good piece and the price is right. I don't need a tack driver but the stock triggers pull is pretty damn bad. Saw some vids on the BX and reviews are good. Just wondering, is there any other trigger is about the same price range I should check out or just go with BX? Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
I bought a Volquartsen a few decades ago & put it in mine. Wonderful. But priced well above the BX trigger assy. I've not tried the BX,, because I just haven't had any need. But I too have heard good things about them.

I put BX triggers in each of my 10-22's with excellent results. This one is a 16 inch barrel with hiviz sights and a TALO straight grip stock. The price for a BX trigger is between $60 & $70 with free shipping on Ebay. I think you will like it if you get one. Be sure to leave the grey plastic cover over the hammer until you install it because if you trip the trigger without it being in the rifle it could damage the mechanism. They install easily and it is worth the time & effort to upgrade your 10-22
0710221456.jpg

G2

Hunter
I have the,

1.BX ~$70
2. Volquartsen~ $100… It came in a 10/22 I bought and is nice.
3. Brimstone basic $45

The BX is an easy big improvement, Volquartsen very nice but I don't think I would spend ~$100 when a $45 option is out there, the Brimstone Basic.
In my observations of others that have shot my 10/22's all have mentioned the trigger/s on the Brimstone guns.
Edge to Brimstone.

They think I tuned em up and want me to do theirs,

I've had some fun and pulled their trigger group, like we're going to tune em up, only to stuff them in a pre addressed flat rate envelope and told them to drop it off at the PO.
They come back, usually within 2 weeks and everybody has been very pleased.

I've heard good things about them too. I've also heard better things about the Brimstone triggers. And you can order one of theirs with the steel housing, if that matters.

I have two 10/22's and a long time ago I bought all Kidd parts for one of them. What an unbelievable trigger that is. I wouldn't buy a second one just because I love variety, but oh my gosh, the Kidd triggers are the best hands down.

Yoter

Bearcat
Off the shelf the BX is hard to beat. Looks like Brimstone is back in business and they do an excellent job on stock factory trigger assemblies.

Brimstone is popular out here. In the neighborhood, so to speak. I've only owned one, second hand, and it was not a very good trigger. They've had lease issues, and have cut back their services quite a bit. Apparently they are still performing trigger jobs on customers existing triggers.

They have 3 tiers of service. The one I had, I'm guessing was their lowest tier, and it was disappointing. I replaced it with a Volquartsen. No comparison!

Last edited:

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
Same here. The original trigger on mine was atrocious.
I Don't Understand Why Ruger Would Sell A Fine Firearm And Then Put A Nasty Trigger In It. Is It A Ploy To Sell The Better Trigger Later If You Don't Like The One That Came With The Firearm. ????

contender

Ruger Guru
"I Don't Understand Why Ruger Would Sell A Fine Firearm And Then Put A Nasty Trigger In It. Is It A Ploy To Sell The Better Trigger Later If You Don't Like The One That Came With The Firearm. ????"

No, it's not a ploy.
First,, the original design hasn't changed. Second, LAWYERS create a "liability scare" into everything. (Reference the ugly warning stamped on Rugers. That was due to a lawsuit.)
Third, in the 1960's, when the 10/22 was built, custom, light or otherwise worked over triggers were NOT nearly as common as today. Fourth, many people in todays world are UNSAFE with a light trigger because they just are not gun people & don't understand guns properly.
Lastly, I think they (Ruger) most likely saw the needs of SOME people in the market, and their desires to have a better trigger, and realized they can easily build & offer an accessory for those who want it.
Personally, I own at least 1/2 dozen 10/22 rifles. Yet only one has a custom trigger. The others work just fine in my hands, and I adjust myself to proper triggering when I use them.

pyth0n

Buckeye
"I Don't Understand Why Ruger Would Sell A Fine Firearm And Then Put A Nasty Trigger In It. Is It A Ploy To Sell The Better Trigger Later If You Don't Like The One That Came With The Firearm. ????"

No, it's not a ploy.
First,, the original design hasn't changed. Second, LAWYERS create a "liability scare" into everything. (Reference the ugly warning stamped on Rugers. That was due to a lawsuit.)
Third, in the 1960's, when the 10/22 was built, custom, light or otherwise worked over triggers were NOT nearly as common as today. Fourth, many people in todays world are UNSAFE with a light trigger because they just are not gun people & don't understand guns properly.
Lastly, I think they (Ruger) most likely saw the needs of SOME people in the market, and their desires to have a better trigger, and realized they can easily build & offer an accessory for those who want it.
Personally, I own at least 1/2 dozen 10/22 rifles. Yet only one has a custom trigger. The others work just fine in my hands, and I adjust myself to proper triggering when I use them.
But for all you've said, there was no reason for the magnum to have such a terrible trigger. I also three 10/22s and haven't had any squawk about those triggers. Yet they are the same system in both models.

contender

Ruger Guru
I can fully agree that triggers on PRODUCTION guns,, (mass produced by parts assemblers) can be heavy, rough, harder to pull etc. And then there are the things listed above,, that when combined,, create a less than "good" trigger.

Look at how guns are made nowadays.

Mass production, where quantity is the norm, required by the factory. (Remember,, the factory is in the business to make money, for them to stay in business, AND keep stockholders happy.) All across the gun industry, of the bigger manufacturers,, production & quantity rule. The work is done by parts assemblers,, NOT "gun people" that are paid an hourly wage. Many of them do not have an appreciation or even a good understanding of what the end product will be like or should be like. Trained, gunsmith types of people demand a much higher wage than parts assemblers. Companies can't afford to hire all gunsmith types,, WITHOUT raising the prices a LOT. And remember,,, again,, they are there to make money. The gun is the product to that end. And again, add in the lawyers, the IDIOTS who have no gun experience etc,, and you will get a very serviceable product,, but maybe not the performance you'd LIKE to see.
This is the world we live in now. Everybody wants a product NOW,, and they expect a perfect product at bargain basement prices.
The BX trigger assy was an answer to those folks who desired a better trigger assy, and understood the need for a much better trigger assy. All while selling well over a million 10/22's with the original design, that caused over a million people to truly enjoy them.

All products can benefit from someone doing a "little extra" or some "custom" work. But those things cost more money. And again, they are in the business to make money. Other companies compete for the consumer dollar. All too often,, I see MANY people say; "I can buy XY gun for $$ and YZ gun costs $$ more. I think XY is just as good,, so why spend the extra money?
Heck, just look at the discussions here in our "Rimfire" section on the Super Wrangler. Comparisons to the Single-Six. Even Ruger is building a product to allow the folks who prefer a less expensive product over their better product.
And remember,, Bill Ruger designed his original gun, the Standard .22 semi-auto to be capable of being built at a much lesser cost than his competitors. Was it as good as the Colt Woodsman or the High Standards? No,, but it sold & sold very well to the point of building a company that has evolved into the largest firearm manufacturer in the country. Let's face it,, the larger majority of people look at PRICE as a very deciding factor.

And consider this.

If Ruger or other companies didn't listen to the sales & income, they would go out of business.

We could be in a world without Rugers or other good guns. At least we do have the options of fixing up guns to suit our desires.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
Maybe I got lucky with my factory trigger, because my brother-in-law gave me a BX, and it's good, but not significantly better as far as I can tell. But I'm not a trigger connoisseur, so take it for what it's worth.