Tried an experiment with my Ruger 44 Mag Carbine (old style)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Retsoff

Bearcat
This past Sunday, I took several rifles to the range to get them sighted in for deer season. I also took along my old style Ruger 44 carbine, though I have yet to hunt with it. The reason I took this carbine to the range was to check out a little trick someone on another forum had mentioned. The trick was to just snug up the front barrel band, which would help with vertical stringing of shot groups. In the past I had always really tightened the front barrel band to where the swivel stud would just begin to be able to be moved. My 3-shot groups with this carbine (with the ammo it's always liked best- the Winchester 250 gr Partition Gold load) has averaged between 3"-4" with either mostly vertical stringing (rapid fire) or primarily a triangular-shaped group (letting the barrel cool between shots).

So, I tried just snugging up the front barrel band. I also took some garage door edging (which can be bought at Home Depot and Lowe's in 16' rolls, if I rember correctly) and cut it to length to just fit the raised part of the bottom of the stock where the gas block sits. I ended up having to cut this in half width-wise to allow the barrel band to slip over the barrel without using brute force. There was still a good bit of resistance but I figured the rubber would eventually give some to allow a slightly looser fit (which it did). While shooting, the barrel band actually crept forward a little, so I know it got looser. With the temperature in the mid-60's and letting the barrel cool between shots, I got a 3-shot group of just over 2" with the 1st shot being higher (?) and the other 2 shots being directly lower and within 1/2" of each other right around the bulls-eye. So, this may be coincidence but it is the best group I've ever shot with this carbine. I realize that 1 each 3-shot group means nothing statistically and that the difference between a 2" group and a 3"-4" group is meaningless at the ranges I'll be shooting at with this carbine. Still, I'm intrigued by this potential improvement. When I get a chance, I'll take it out again to see if this is repeatable. I didn't have alot of time this past Sunday to do more shooting with it, since I had 3 other rifles (and backup scopes) to get sighted in.

I just wanted to share my initial results in case someone else wants to give it a try.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
That's pretty cool Retsoff. I enjoy doing a lot of self-engineering.

I applaud you for taking the betterment of that fine old carbine into your own capable hands. That carbine is starting to catch my attention.

Keep us updated on what else you come up with.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
my cria 1965 carbine shootong winchester white box 240gr sjhp's ,off the steady rest and with the Weaver K-4 Classic scope on it will hover around 2" at 100 yards Off hand useig the sling if I do my part I can keep them between 3-4 " for 3 shots at 100 yards which I think is plenty accurate enough for this guns intended puporus .I've takes a few deer with it and one at about 60-70 yards hit right in the lungs ,it sucked a lung right out of the deer ,A .44 cal entrance hole and a 4" exit hole my .308 will make a 2" exit hole I've never seen anything rip one open like the .44 mag did out of that gun .Most shots around here are short range anyway so the deerstalker in just perfict .I olny used the .308 when hunting a lagre feild .So the deerstalker is my fafroite deer rifle
i'm gonna take the scope off of it and put Williams peep soghts on it because the scope has cost me a nice buck becausre he was in so close all I could see was his fur and out to 100 yards the peep sight will do just fine + it's a little more traditional on this gun and it's lighter and looks better IMHO ,
Lou

Retsoff

Bearcat
Well, I went out to the range again this afternoon to see if I could duplicate the results I posted above for my Ruger 44 Mag Carbine (as well as to shoot some other rifles). I did duplicate my previous results with virtually the same group size (right at 2" for a 3-shot group at 100 yards with the last 2 shots once again being about 1/2" from one another and the 1st shot hitting higher than the others, which opened up the group). So, it looks like my little experiment is a success, though like I have previously stated, a 3"-4" group (which was the best this carbine had previously ever done) will still do the job nicely for what it was designed for.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I had the same problem with my 44 levergun (96-44). As the barrel got hot the POI would drop like 6" at 50 yards. And I solved it the same way. I make sure the receiver is wedged into the stock real tight by putting a little aluminum tape around it, tightening the recoil lug good and leaving the barrel band just snug so it can slide a little. After a shooting session I tap the barrel band back down with a piece of wood. A little tab would stop the band from creeping I think. :D

...Jimbo