Tri color allowed in Minn?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
They contend that low melting point equals cheaply made, poorly designed and prone to breakage. Unsafe like Nader and his Vega scenario.

96/44 said:
The wrangler is illegal in mn due to the melting point of the alloy frame. Most dealers choose to ignore the law, most law enforcement isn't aware of it, and there has never been a prosecution. The tri color should be fine since aluminum is above an 800 degree melting point.

Not arguing... but I am of the understanding that the Wrangler's grip frame is zinc or Zamak.

That would melt at a lower temp then the aluminum alloy frame.
(But sadly, might still run afoul of MN's "melting point" law.)

"Just what I heard on the Internet!" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Son lives in Duluth MN wrangler is unavailable there. Apparently ffl dealers in the area are aware of state law. I was thinking if I moved there I would switch mine to an xr3 red aluminum to not run afoul of the law?

"4.Saturday night special pistol. "Saturday night special pistol" means a pistol other than an antique firearm or a pistol for which the propelling force is carbon dioxide, air or other vapor, or children's pop guns or toys, having a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock:
(1) of any material having a melting point (liquidus) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, or

(2) of any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, or

(3) of any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter."

Copied the preceding out of the MN statutes.

Thanks for that info.

"Plain old" aluminum has a melting point of 1220* F.

There are a bazillion aluminum alloys, each with its own ultimate strength. Some would be rated in excess of 55KSI, but I don't know which would lend themselves to Ruger's casting process.

Guess we'll have to assume that the standard aluminum XR3-RED grip frame is OK, or that the fact that it's not the "frame" of the gun exempts it from MN's law. Same for the zinc alloy used in the Wrangler's grip frame.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bottom line:

Ruger's zinc alloy grip frame does not violate the meaning of the MN law prohibiting Sat nite specials which specifically describes the parts that cannot be low melting temp, i.e., Zinc alloy; "...having a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock...". Ruger's main frame is alum alloy which is not forbidden by the low temp criteria. So one of two things has or both have happened:

1. Some MN bureaucrat(s) mis-interpreted the law, likely due to ignorance, or possibly due to anti-gun sentiment,

2. MN dealers are being ultra conservative over the Wrangler because they can't afford to get caught up in an expensive legal battle just based on the loss of sales of one model handgun.

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Update: Hondo44 you were right. I just transferred in a beautiful Tri color on the weekend. My FFL said he will also transfer the Wrangler. He knew the law well and said that many dealers just do not understand it. Right down the street is another dealer that won't touch either one. All I can say is if you live in Minnesota check with your FFL first.

Thanks for all the great replies!
TomD

Hondo44

Hawkeye
TomD,

I'm very glad to hear that and happy for you! And that dealer would get all my business from now on.

It takes grit to be a good gun dealer these days to help out and protect gun owners from corny laws. That one has true grit.