Tri color allowed in Minn?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Given the wonderful Minnesota law that prohibits us from buying certain alloy frame pistols (like the wrangler, argh), does anyone know if I would have trouble buying and shipping in a Tri-Color lightweight here?

Thanks for any input!
TomD

06dilly

Single-Sixer
I think they did it back when everyone wanted to ban the "Saturday night specials", Ravens, etc. For some reason it keeps me from having the Wrangler. I keep passing up on the Tri-colors because I don't know. Ok, I'll start an internet search or see if any local FFL knows. It's not the worst state for this hobby but it does have its quirks. Thanks guys!

TomD

These laws were aimed at the cheap "pot metal Saturday night specials" which usually meant some aluminum-based "alloy". Lawmakers have never been good with technical terms. :)

Kandy Kisses said:

Interesting... I was under the understanding that the Wranglers were not able to be sold here by FFLs, due to the low melting point of the grip frame.

I know that Cabela's had a notation in print ads stating, "Not available in Minnesota," much like they do with the cheapest version of the Heritage Rough Rider.

Note to 06dilly- sorry for hijacking your thread! :oops:

96/44

Blackhawk
The wrangler is illegal in mn due to the melting point of the alloy frame. Most dealers choose to ignore the law, most law enforcement isn't aware of it, and there has never been a prosecution. The tri color should be fine since aluminum is above an 800 degree melting point.

RSIno1

Hunter
That's a new one. We can even buy it here in Kommiefornia. https://www.turners.com/ruger/ruger-wrangler-22lr-black-cera-719312
and they started the war on light alloy guns and the ring of fire. https://lonelymachines.org/2006/11/19/the-ring-of-fire-lives-on/#:~:text=The%20Ring%20of%20Fire%20is,(less%20than%209mm)%20calibers.

96/44 said:
The wrangler is illegal in mn due to the melting point of the alloy frame. Most dealers choose to ignore the law, most law enforcement isn't aware of it, and there has never been a prosecution. The tri color should be fine since aluminum is above an 800 degree melting point.
How many have EVER seen a melted handgun frame that wasn't in a fire? I would imagine that if the frame was close to melting the firer would have dropped it a long time before.

Fox Mike said:
96/44 said:
How many have EVER seen a melted handgun frame that wasn't in a fire? I would imagine that if the frame was close to melting the firer would have dropped it a long time before.

As far as I know, the Wrangler frames are the same as the Lightweight frames . . . aluminum. :)

Edit: Just checked the Ruger website. The Wrangler frame is "aluminum alloy". :)

hittman

Staff member
Illinois outlawed those cheap Heritage single actions years ago because of that melting point issue. I know some who went across the river to Missouri and bought one but then could not find an FFL in Illinois to accept the transfer.

It doesn't seem like the Wranglers fall into that category as I see them everywhere for sale in Illinois.

FWIW, in metallurgy the term "alloy" merely means that a metal is a "mixture" of two or more metals. "Lead" bullets, like solder, are usually lead with a small addition of another metal like tin or antimony and are thus "lead alloys". All steels are iron with various other materials added to produce specific properties, and are thus referred to by their "alloy" numbers, such as 1020 or 4140. I don't know what the specific composition of the Ruger aluminum frames are but they are always referred to as "alloy" frames as distinguished from steel or even brass, both of which are actually alloys themselves. This seems to be common nomenclature practice in some parts of the gun industry. :mrgreen:

Of some interest is the fact that the Wrangler's grip frame is NOT the usual Ruger aluminum, but a zinc alloy. This is perhaps an alloy that some states do not like . . . lower melt temp, perhaps?

I have no clue to what alloy Ruger uses for that grip frame, but I'd be surprised if
"melted" at less than 800 degrees.
Anybody know the alloy?
As cheap as a wrangler is a dealer ought to by one and throw the frame in a heat treat oven
and find out. On the other hand it seems like Ruger would know and provide
guidance to their distribution chain
Dave

Perhaps I am missing a point but I cannot understand what a melting point of a handgun frame has to do with the ability to sell it. How many have ever shot anything, hand held, and got it hot enough to melt.