Travel Question for Minneapolis? It's baseball season!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

737tdi

Hunter
I sure hope I spelled Minneapolis correctly?? Judy and I are going to catch the Texas Rangers v MN. Twins game on May 29th. Can someone in the area give me a clue to a good place to stay around Target Field? I would prefer it be a Wyndham property because I get oodles of reward points through them but it is not a game changer (pun not intended). Also any advice on getting around. I really do not want to rent a car because it will be a short 2 day trip. I have never been to MN so don't assume I know anything.

What will the weather be like? Light coat, short sleeves???

Just got back from LV last Friday from a 3 day trip and it was actually chilly there. We try to do one trip a year to an out of town ballpark and we picked this on before it gets hot. It sure is fun working for SWA, fly for free and then spend the fare on beer.

Semper Fi:

Karl

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Wyndham.com will give you hotels in proximity to the field. I use National at the airport for cars - pick your own, etc. I do not know about public transportation unless you count the train from/to the airport. easy-cheesy.
I like Eden Prairie to the west for dining and easy-to-airport egress.
Wunderground.com will tell you what to wear.

any ruger

Blackhawk
I do not get to the Cities that often but bring warm clothes. the weather hasn't been very good . As they say if you don't like the weather now wait 5 min. it will change.

737tdi

Hunter
mohavesam said:
Wyndham.com will give you hotels in proximity to the field. I use National at the airport for cars - pick your own, etc. I do not know about public transportation unless you count the train from/to the airport. easy-cheesy.
I like Eden Prairie to the west for dining and easy-to-airport egress.
Wunderground.com will tell you what to wear.

Oh yes, I am very aware of Wyndham.com. SWA has a deal with them and we get like triple points when we book with them. I just need to know a decent Wyndham hotel down by the ballpark.

737tdi

Hunter
mohavesam: I was not being rude, I just have no idea about the area. I have looked on google and have some ideas I just thought I could maybe get a better idea here.

Karl

737tdi

Hunter
any ruger: You don't have any advice on hotels? I can tell you which airport hotel, local hotel and the good hotels in and around Dallas. Then again I pay attention to such stuff because I travel a lot. Thanks.

Karl

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Hey Karl;
You just might want to give THIS Wyndham hotel a call and check out it's location vs Target Field:

Graves 601 Hotel Wyndham Grand
601 First Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN, US, 55403
1-612-677-1100

On the map it's not far from Target Field and would probably be a low cost taxi ride from the hotel.
When we went to visit Ashley's Dad up in Aurora, MN, we flew in Minneapolis and took a transportation service over to the Sears store in St Paul where we had an auto rental waiting (Avis) renting that way was MUCH cheaper than renting at the airport and NO charge for turning it in AT the airport on the way home**. I wish I could find the details on the transportation service (long gone from my laptop), but it was quite reasonable for the two of us. Another consideration is that the Hotel MIGHT provide transportation from Airport to Hotel and back again on your way home; Never hurts to ASK !!
Good Luck !

BTW, IF you see a "Dunn Bro's Coffee Shop", it is NO relation to me and my brothers. :wink: :lol: :lol:

** Yes, it was cheaper renting though AVIS at the Sears store than at the airport EVEN WITH the transportation service added in, but then we were actually renting it for two weeks.

308dave

Bearcat
The simplest thing would be a hotel near the airport in Bloomington that's within walking distance of the light rail - the trains run directly to Target Field. Most hotels have airport shuttles but if not, it's a short cab ride from the airport to most of them. Weather in MN on 5/29 could be just about anything, but it'll most likely be cooler than than TX - bring a jacket and long sleeve shirts just in case.

lumbering.buffalo

Single-Sixer
308dave is right. Stay in Bloomington and catch the light rail to Target Field. It's super simple. Mall of America (MOA) is close by and there are plenty of restaurants in and around it. Airport shuttles to and from the hotel. Parking downtown, even in the ramps, is frustrating at best.

BTW, Dunn Bros is the best chain coffee shops in the Twin Cities. They roast their coffees on-site.

I live in that area, but will not go to Target Field...ever. PM me if you need more info.

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
Hey Karl, we live just south of the Twin Cities but rarely go into the city due to the traffic. I will tell you that the Mall of America is not far from the airport and there is shuttle service to it from the airport. From there you can ride the light rail right to the ball park.

There are many restaurants in the Mall and a lot more in the immediate area. If you have the time the Mall is something to see. There is an amusement park right inside including a roller coaster.

No mosquitoes yet, but then they're going to show up soon. :shock:

Bring warm jackets. It might be nice during the day but it cools off a lot at night.

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
I am sorry we are scheduled to be in Chicago that weekend for a wedding or I would come up and show you folks around.

I agree on Southwest. We have a nephew who is a pilot with them.

wheelgun1958

Blackhawk
Thirty minutes of research found Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bloomington/Minneapolis (801 East 78th Street) for $55 a night (kayak.com). Airport shuttle and walking distance to Metro stop 4518. Fifty one minutes and $1.75 and you arrive at Target Field (metrotransit.org/TripPlanner).

certified angus

Bearcat
I've heard rumors that the Microtel in Bloomington is kind of sketchy - noted for prostitution. As mentioned earlier, the Graves 601 is a block or two from Target field. You could ride the light rail from the airport to the ball park. Downtown Minneapolis has a sky way so you can walk all over downtown in indoor comfort. You really wouldn't need to rent a car at all, unless you wanted to do some exploring where the light rail system doesn't go. The ball park is pretty nice. The food is good, prices aren't really that bad. Except for drinks. But then a lot of vendors offer micro brew beers (if you are into that), rather than the cheap stuff. Weather is unpredictable at the end of May. Could be pleasant 70 degree weather, or could be cold enough for frost in the mornings. You wouldn't need heavy winter clothing, but be prepared for chilly weather. There are infrared heaters in the concourse. We were there a few weeks ago for a day game when the temp was 31 degrees, overcast sky, light wind. Sat in the outfield. Really wasn't bad. But then I spend much of the winter outside skiing, ice fishing, and plowing snow, so am acclimated to the weather a bit.

There are a lot of restaurants close by. Brits Pub is a few blocks to the south on Nicolette Ave. Its about the only place I've eaten at while down there, which is about once a year for a trade show at the Convention Center. Other than that I don't know what to recommend.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
lumbering.buffalo said:
BTW, Dunn Bros is the best chain coffee shops in the Twin Cities. They roast their coffees on-site.

I live in that area, but will not go to Target Field...ever. PM me if you need more info.

When Ashley and I visited there, I went into one of the Dunn Bros Coffee shops and bought THREE of their coffee Cups; One for me and one for each of my Brothers; With theirs, I enclosed a note accusing each of them of not letting me in on a profitable business. When making the purchase, I showed the cashier my drivers license and asked IF I could get a "family" discount; She laughed and said, Sorry NO !!. I laughed and so did she. I have my Cup in my China Cabinet of precious (to me) items.
Pamela DUNN

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
My wife and I went to Target Field the year it opened (3 or 4 years ago - don't remember anymore) and we stayed at a hotel near the Mall of America and rode the Light Rail. As others have said, that is the way to go.
By the way, arrive early and stay late. That ballpark is pretty awesome to walk around and enjoy. Plus the food there is quite different. You can get walleye and chips, porkchops, cheese curds, and about two dozen other things. It will cost ya, though.

96/44

Blackhawk
Like others have said, stay in Bloomington or another suburb and ride the light rail or take a cab to the game. Downtown mpls is fine during sporting events when there are lots of people and cops around. You wouldn't catch me on the street there after dark.

Latest posts