Transitional model or upgraded at some point?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I have a Single Six in the low 48,000 serial range, which should make it a 1956 model. It is equipped with a serrated ejector rod button, but has a round loading gate. I know that some flat gates were converted back in the day, and I have read a few different claims of when Ruger went to the round loading gate. The gate on mine is a Ruger part, not aftermarket, and the bluing matches the frame, so it's been on there a long time. Is it possible this one came from the factory with the round gate and serrated button? It also has some fine stag grips, though they don't have medallions, so they are probably aftermarket. The gun has some blemishes, and it gets shot a LOT, but since I only gave $165 for it, I don't feel too bad... :mrgreen:

I'll get some pics up this afternoon when I get home from work (sorry to use that filthy four letter word on a family-friendly forum...)

welcome to the Forum, with out "seeing" just how long ( set back) the rounded loading gate, is, my guess wold be that is may just be one of the "Premiere" loading gates and these are noted by being actually LONGER (set back ) than the later ,factory style one, and yes the bluing would 'match', as for the ejector rod could easily be the serrated one, if it was earlier and NOT serrated I'd guess again, that it was swapped for the easier to push round,dimpled ones...sounds like a nice gun, and certainly was a GREAT price to pay........

contender

Ruger Guru
Looks a lot like a Ruger loading gate. I do know that some folks did send back their 22's & have Ruger swap out the flat gate for a round gate. It's a possibility, but unverifiable.

George

Blackhawk
$165 in this day and age. Wow was it a buddy that sold it to you? You got one killer deal! You could sell that gun for more then 3X what you paid for it easy.. Nice pistol. Love the grips! Heck you may be able to sell just the grips for
$300 + if tere real stag grips.. If I were you I would hang onto that gun till you die..

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerguy is right in saying the small square serrated ejector rod button would be correct for a 48xxx range Single-Six. They changed to the large round (dimpled) button at about 51xxx.
Chet15