Transfer Bar Effect on Trigger Action...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a 1972 Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. Of course, it does not have the transfer bar safety system. I have been loading 5 rounds in it. But, I have been thinking that perhaps I should get the most out of the gun and take advantage of the 6th chamber...in the event I came in contact with a monster in the deep woods. :shock: Ha ha

Anyway, the trigger on the gun in it's current status is crisp and easy to shoot. I have been told that adding the transfer bar system will add creep and weight to the trigger pull. And, that the only way to get around that is to send it to a gunsmith to have that issue dealt with.

QUESTIONS: Will adding the transfer bar safety system add creep and weight to the trigger pull.? AND If you were in my shoes would you make the conversion?

Thanks

maxpress

Buckeye
i would leave it and buy another SBH since they are realativly cheap. especially used. you have a semi rare bird there and it will only decrease its value. and you just never know what kinda trigger you going to have after the conversion. could go from slight creep to horibley stagey. but 99% of the time it will be worse unless followed up by a profesional trigger job by one of the bigger smiths.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Were it me, I'd post a Want To Trade on this forum for a pre-warning label New Model in similar or better condition. Chances are good that the other person (trading up, in my opinion) would be willing to cover the shipping costs and still consider this a good deal.

Just a thought,

Stephen

CraigC

Hawkeye
Leave it alone! Your nice and smooth, crisp trigger and action will be gritty and creepy when you get it back. That sixth round ain't gonna do you any good.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Another thing I've read here is that when Ruger converts it they do not have SBH hammers. They use the standard type hammer. So you'll loose your SBH looks, action, crisp trigger pull ....... a no win situation for just one round from my perspective.

I'd suggest buying a New Model SBH if you just gotta have that sixth round.

Joe

Kanook

Buckeye
If you have the transfer bar done you will be adding extra weight to the firearm and will be adding an extra round will make it weigh even more. In a world of lighter is better, why add more weight. :twisted:

just kidding, I'd leave it alone

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have an early Super Black Hawk (four digit serial number). It has not been converted.

However, having it converted will not harm it. You WILL have to do another trigger job simply because they don't use the same parts. You will get the old parts along with the gun when it is returned to you.

It will have the advantage of being able to use all six rounds (it'll be a REAL sixgun instead of a fivegun).

I have several new model Rugers and after a good trigger job they are superior to my old original "five gun". How are they superior? Well, you can safely load all six chambers and what is more important, you won't be catching the hammer on a twig, advancing the cylinder and dropping the hammer to fire the gun inadvertently (trigger must be depressed before the round will fire in a New Model).

Dale53

Motex66

Single-Sixer
A good trigger job would be needed. I have never felt a good one after the conversion.
I get a converted one it gets changed back. Still holding two sets of parts.
It don't ring the cylinder.
Maybe a loop of leather around the hammer friction fit threw two holes in the holster or a flap holster.

flatgate

Hawkeye
In my experience, the conversion kit lockwork does indeed add some margin of safety to the Old Super.

Ah, but the action itself leaves one with too much trigger travel, at least in my humble opinion. One needs some extra trigger movement prior to let-off so the transfer bar can rise enough to permit the primer to be properly struck by the firing pin.

That and loosing the totally cool Super Blackhawk hammer is a huge turn off for this ol' shooter.

JMHO,
YMMV,

flatgate

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
No I wouldn't convert it. You'll reduce the value. However, the added weight is probably insignificant.

Most people don't realize how spectacular a NM SA trigger can be IF it's done right. Every bit as nice as the 3 screw triggers I've tried IMO. But I still wouldn't convert it.