Train photos

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
I had the opportunity to ride with a crew on our local shortline railroad that services points between Cincinnati and Washington Courthouse, OH last week. The crew is a two man team - one conductor, and one engineer. I got to ride along for a long day while we collected cars from here and there to be delivered up or down the line. The engine was a 1500 hp EMD, that performed beatuifully. There is an element of Top Fuel dragster in this work, watching and listening to that beast motor up a grade.

Our engine for the day:

IMG_1347.jpg

Me at the end of a long day on the rails:

IMG_1348.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
Wow! I think I can count "train rides" on one hand. I road on a "futuristic" General Motors train on the Pa. RR back in the days. My first trip around that famous Horseshoe Curve!

I also road the TGV in France. 170 MPH train!

Thanks for sharing the pics. I bet it was an experience you'll not soon forget.

flatgate

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Some times we need to take advantage of things that come our way. It sounds like you had a great time and really enjoy trains Ferdinand.

Looks like you had a front line seat for their days work also. Something you aren't always likely to see from a passenger car.

Thanks for sharing.

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
wixedmords, I have family in New Hampshire - including Wolfeboro. I'm planning to visit a railyard in Maine on my next summer visit - might be able to ride along then, if I'm lucky. Glad you liked the pics.

street

Hunter
I think everyone likes trains, especially Steam Trains. See the photos below. One is a 4-8-4 #611. This engine was built in 1950 at the Roanoke, VA shops. From 1941 to 1951 the N & W built 14 of these engines. I grew up in Salem, VA about 7 or 8 miles from Roanoke so you can understand when I make this statement. That I am a little bit prejudice about these engines!!! Those passenger steam engines were the best looking and best running passenger steam engines ever built. There were places in eastern Virginia that they would average 90 miles an hour, and they could run over 100!!!

The next engine is a Virginian electric. This was built by Westinghouse in the 1920. At the time they were built they were one of the most powerful engines. They were used up to 1959. The Virginian was a coal hauling line, hauling coal out of West Virgina to Norfolk, VA for shippment overseas. The Virginian was taken over in 1959 by the N & W, which was re-named Norfolk Southern in the 1980s when they merged with the Southern Railway. Any railroad articles marked Virginian will bring a very good price, sort of like an Old Model Ruger. A Virginian Switch lock and key will bring $800.00 to a $1000.00.

373699268.jpg

373699272.jpg

I took these last year in Sidney, NE.

Union Pacific Challenger #3985.

140 ft. long and over 1,000,000 lbs. The world's largest working steam locomotive.

Dennis.

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

street

Hunter
Sgt Garcia":2t1ue30x said:

140 ft. long and over 1,000,000 lbs. The world's largest working steam locomotive.

Dennis.

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

Steam and still working, It doesn't get any better then that. It's like holding an Old Model Ruger Flattop in your hand.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
My son LOVES trains. If ya ever get the chance, the railroad museum in Golden, CO it's a fun stop.

Linzeiisdad

Bearcat
Sgt Garcia":313tehhs said:

Dennis.

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

Gotta love 'heavy metal'! FWIW, I'm a former CP Rail conductor (freight) and now work as an RTC for CN in Canada.

Great post!

I come from a railroad family. My father retired as yard clerk with the GM&O and then ICG. My oldest brother was switchman, younger brother was a yardmaster, and I worked as a computer programmer. My grandmother worked for the old M&O.

As a kid, dad would take us on the weekend to yard and we would ride on a switch engine while he worked. This was before all the liability stuff.

On year I had to do what was called "roadway inventory". I rode with a district foreman on a gas powered two seater rail cart. We stopped at every little station and worksite counting material used to repair track. Most of these little stations were in the back woods of Alabama and Mississippi. One of the most educational experiences of my life.

Rick

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
Mmmmmmm...steam engine. Here are a few pics of the coal trains running along highway two across Nebraska. They're not great pics but it's not that easy to take pics of moving trains from moving motorcycle.

DSC03392.jpg

DSC03371.jpg

DSC03369.jpg

DSC03405.jpg

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
My Dad worked for the railroad (FEC, then ACL) and in the late 50's I covered this country riding the rails. Wonderful experience. Even got to go to the "branch lines" and stay in the caboose - great fun.